Windows 8 Begins to Convince me....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: Windows 8 Begins to Convince me....

Post by smatovic »

...at least you tried, thats a point for you.

Back in Windows 2000 and XP times i was a Windows Power User and i know what a big step it is when you leave your well known ecosphere.
so, leave that stone and accompany me to a beer
just opened a bottle wine (Castello di Tagliolo) and enjoy how Moron smashes my Zeta Engine.....i guess my castle move generator is still buggy...

--
Srdja
fern

Post by fern »

Thanks for that great site I did not know!!!

As I suspected, drunkards are almost all of the race of writers.
To be frank, I drink lot less than those heroes. Just at night these days.

salud
Fern
solis

Post by solis »

fern wrote:After wiping out an Ubuntu thing I had in one of my Pc's, - never more to have one in my gear, no way...-, I loaded CR W8, which I have previously tested and rejected a month ago or perhaps two, but this time I saw the light. The new concept, kind of a personal PC at once in the screen and some other features, gave me a thrill. It has a library and reader that went far in seducing me, a compulsive reader. It loads fats and make work OK every chess program I have. I am sure the final version will be even better. They already caught me.

Just for the sake of giving info regards
Fern
Hi Fernando,
I just have a quick question.
Some of the CB engines can't be used on W7 and the problems started with Vista.If what you are saying is that all the engines work with W8 maybe that problem has been solved.If that is true maybe we can look forward using W8.
Regards,

Miodrag
fern

Post by fern »

Hi:
I already installed Fritz 12 and Junior 12 in W8 and no problem. Same with Arena and its numerous engines.

best
Fern
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Hi Fern,

so far I did not take a closer look on Windows 8 - Do you think there is something that makes it more comfortable to a usual desktop user then Windows 7 ?

Greets, Thomas
fern

Post by fern »

Well, pal, at firsts I was not convinced at all. In fact I installed the thing once and then un-installed it, with the idea I was not going to replace my W7. Then, bored of Ubuntu, which is not friendly to common people like me, I decide to give w8 a second try.
This time it worked.
I loved first one of the programs available in the shop, a reader contrivance that is easy to use and give immediate access to much classical stuff. I appreciated the fact that the screen is mine and not just a lot of icons that I must push and then go into a program and then and only then get my stuff. I feel more at home with it. In case I do not like it enough, you always can go to sort of w7 desktop. Internal are better; better safety devices, etc. I like the idea -even if I not sot travel much- to be all the time connected with myself as much you are in permanent touch with the cloud.
To date I say "yes" to w8 and certainly I will migrate to it when the final product reach my hands.

Fern
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

fern wrote:Well, pal, at firsts I was not convinced at all. In fact I installed the thing once and then un-installed it, with the idea I was not going to replace my W7. Then, bored of Ubuntu, which is not friendly to common people like me, I decide to give w8 a second try.
This time it worked.
I loved first one of the programs available in the shop, a reader contrivance that is easy to use and give immediate access to much classical stuff. I appreciated the fact that the screen is mine and not just a lot of icons that I must push and then go into a program and then and only then get my stuff. I feel more at home with it. In case I do not like it enough, you always can go to sort of w7 desktop. Internal are better; better safety devices, etc. I like the idea -even if I not sot travel much- to be all the time connected with myself as much you are in permanent touch with the cloud.
To date I say "yes" to w8 and certainly I will migrate to it when the final product reach my hands.

Fern
I am a junkie for my 7-inch tablet (a Nook Color). It is the perfect size for reading ebooks, and since I like to read at night (like all readers) it is perfect for that also.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

fern wrote:Thanks for that great site I did not know!!!

As I suspected, drunkards are almost all of the race of writers.
To be frank, I drink lot less than those heroes. Just at night these days.

salud
Fern
Agreed: the site is priceless. I had a lot of laughs with some of the quotes from "Wino Wisdom".

“I’m sort of a fashion nut, and I was just checking on what kinda shoes people are wearing this season.”
Charlie picking himself off the floor of the Broadway Bar and Grille in Nashville, TN.

“If you want something you’ll have to speak up. I can understand Drunk all day long but I’m not fluent in Shithead.”
A waitress named Stacy to a belligerent and mumbling patron.

“She spilled a beer on me. That’s foreplay.”

“I used to live to work. Then I worked to live. Then I worked to drink. Now I must drink to work.”

“It sucks when decent, hardworking people get screwed over like that. Because that means pricks like us don’t stand a chance.”
Jim S. watching the devastation of the recent tsunami on the television at JR’s Bar.

“You’re not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on.”
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
solis

Post by solis »

fern wrote:Hi:
I already installed Fritz 12 and Junior 12 in W8 and no problem. Same with Arena and its numerous engines.

best
Fern
Hi Fernando,
thanks for your answer but I have a followup question.Right now I am in Italy so I can't check my computer but if my memory serves me well it was Fritz 10 and possibly Fritz 9 that did not work on Vista or W7 .
With Fritz 11 and 12 I never had problems.
If they work on W8 maybe my new OS will be W8.
Regards,

Miodrag
fern

Post by fern »

Both F9 and 10 worked in my w7. Perhaps you should take a look at the compatibility issue. You always can make a program to work in XP mode just in case. And you always can download RC w8, for free, to see if it works.
my best
Fern