What will Komodo score giving two pawns to GM?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

What will Komodo score in 6 games giving two pawns to GM?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:59 pm

1.5 or less out of 6
11%
2 out of 6
11%
2.5 out of 6
11%
3 out of 6
14%
3.5 out of 6
3%
4 out of 6
22%
4.5 or more out of 6
28%

Total votes: 36

Isaac

Re: What will Komodo score giving two pawns to GM?

Post by Isaac »

I guess 2 draws and 4 wins for Komodo. I misvoted 4/6 though, instead of 4.5/6 or more.
neelbasant

Post by neelbasant »

lkaufman wrote:This coming Tuesday we have a six game match scheduled with our latest Komodo giving two pawn handicap (c2 and f2) to GM Petr Neuman, FIDE 2464, born in 1978. Time control is 45' + 15" increment. Normal chess scoring. This will be the first game on record in which anyone or anything gave a two pawn handicap to a grandmaster.
I think this is misleading.
player with 2464 rating will not have a performance of an actual GM.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

neelbasant wrote:
lkaufman wrote:This coming Tuesday we have a six game match scheduled with our latest Komodo giving two pawn handicap (c2 and f2) to GM Petr Neuman, FIDE 2464, born in 1978. Time control is 45' + 15" increment. Normal chess scoring. This will be the first game on record in which anyone or anything gave a two pawn handicap to a grandmaster.
Here is a link that gives also the GM's online rating by fide

https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=305243

bullet 2540
rapid 2397
blitz 2514

He has higher online rating at faster time control.
I do not know if it means that he is relatively better in bullet or maybe the
online rating of fide is misleading.

Unfortunately did not find many players with online rating to have an idea about the meaning of this rating and did not find rating list of online players.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

neelbasant wrote:
player with 2464 rating will not have a performance of an actual GM.[/quot

The normal requirement for the GM title is a 2500 FIDE rating, but of course not everyone maintains their rating above this level afterwards. A GM with a 2464 FIDE rating is not a strong GM, but I would not say that his playing strength is clearly below GM level. I'm a GM with a 2320 FIDE rating at age 67, so I wouldn't say that my own play is now at GM level. But a 36 point drop is not a big deal.
Komodo rules!
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

neelbasant wrote:
2400+ is very strong. Furthermore, once you receive your norms and/or obtain the GM title you should then always be recognized as a GM. His performance will no doubt be excellent in strength. But will two pawns really be enough to even give him a chance... I would be very surprised... Komodo would destroy this guy with equal material like nobody's business.

Larry, how do you do versus Komodo at 3/1 time control with knight odds? My very strong FM (1st IM norm obtained a few days ago) friend got 4/4 versus Stockfish 6. He was actually quite upset. But at 3/1 humans blunder easily...
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

Easy draw for the GM but very difficult to win.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
neelbasant wrote:
2400+ is very strong. Furthermore, once you receive your norms and/or obtain the GM title you should then always be recognized as a GM. His performance will no doubt be excellent in strength. But will two pawns really be enough to even give him a chance... I would be very surprised... Komodo would destroy this guy with equal material like nobody's business.

Larry, how do you do versus Komodo at 3/1 time control with knight odds? My very strong FM (1st IM norm obtained a few days ago) friend got 4/4 versus Stockfish 6. He was actually quite upset. But at 3/1 humans blunder easily...
I play Komodo sometimes at 4' + 2" at knight odds, and with recent versions I rarely do better than a draw. Usually I keep some advantage until my time gets very low, and then I have to settle for a repetition. But my blitz play is no more than FM level at my age.
Komodo rules!
egiovannotti

Post by egiovannotti »

The question should be "a GM with an Elo of 2500," because "a GM with an Elo rating of 2700" is something else.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

egiovannotti wrote:The question should be "a GM with an Elo of 2500," because "a GM with an Elo rating of 2700" is something else.
Well, I expected people to read the full post before voting. If we ever have a match with a 2700+ GM I would say "Elite GM" as that is the unofficial term for 2700+. If it's a 2800+ GM, I would just use his name.
Komodo rules!
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

lkaufman wrote:
egiovannotti wrote:The question should be "a GM with an Elo of 2500," because "a GM with an Elo rating of 2700" is something else.
Well, I expected people to read the full post before voting. If we ever have a match with a 2700+ GM I would say "Elite GM" as that is the unofficial term for 2700+. If it's a 2800+ GM, I would just use his name.
Did you guys attempt to ask Naka or Wesley So if they would be interested in something like this? I suppose it is better to see how performance is versus 2400+ first with a two pawn handicap. But there would be some 2700+ players that would be interested I am sure. Naka never seems to have any fear. He's played engines on Playchess in the past; the video that I saw him in was of him playing Deep Fritz.
Last edited by APassionForCriminalJustic on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.