Looking for DOS driver ... IOMEGA ZIP 100 and Mouse!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Looking for DOS driver ... IOMEGA ZIP 100 and Mouse!

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

OK, older and more crazy ...
Normely ... before I am 50 years old in January.

But I am sure ...
If I start a Rating list with all the older DOS programs ...

No, no ... or I am very alone with it.

:-)

Best
Frank

Also one of the reasons is Grandmaster by John Stanback.
I must check the older files I have, perhaps later I made an update in the Zarkov directory on my site. Wonderful program ... so many wonderful programs we had in the past. Socrates and Rexchess are very nice. Now 0.1 very strong ... I remember on a Russian engine SibChess ... very strong too or on great grafics from Kallisto 2 or Greif or Gandalf 2 or CheckCheck with the first endgame databases !! Mirage (also russian engine) or Tjes from the Netherland are great. All the engines by Ed and Genius by Richard I have. Many programs send me programmres at this time by slow post.

I collect more as 800 programs / different versions from same DOS programs. So can looking in my treasure chest. I hope that my older ZIP Disks are working ... at the Moment I can't check that because my ZIP dirve is defect but I order in ebay a new one.
Colin-G

Post by Colin-G »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:I hope that my older ZIP Disks are working ... at the Moment I can't check that because my ZIP dirve is defect but I order in ebay a new one.
Hi Frank,
I hope your new drive works ok and does not suffer from the infamous "click of death" that the Iomega ZIP drives suffered from.
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_of_death
I remember reading about this, just after buying one in 1999, but I never had any problems.
Jimbo I

Post by Jimbo I »

Frank,

Have you tried using a CD recovery program to see if you can salvage some or all of the files from the bad backup CD?

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... tility.htm
fern

Post by fern »

Perhaps it would be far easier for you to download the great program D-Fend and with it to run the DOS programs you can get in many places, including the one of Schroeder

Fern
Frank Quisinsky

Hi James,

no, good idea.
I will try it out on weekend.

Can't see that the CD-Rom is damage on the surface (hope English is correct). TDK I am using a long time for backups in the past.

I am thinking I can reproduce most of important DOS programs (found a lot in WWW). The older and great boot system I am using ... I can't remember on the name of the program. Furthermore, I lost the ram optimizer "quem".

OK, but most of important thinks I have now I think.

Possible that I have other important files on my ZIP 100 Disks. I think in 2-3 days I will get the ordered IOMEGA drive and can looking what is on my older ZIP-100 backups. On one is the complete Gambit-Soft download area from the past and much other important things I believe. I helps Gambit-Soft with shareware and freeware programs many years.

Hm, with all the years much things are forgotten.

But your idea is good, not thinking about it.

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Colin,

never heart about it.
Not all I understand here with my bad English ... tomorrow I will translate with more time.

Thanks for the hint!

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

D-Fend, never heard about it.
Later ... I will search Information.

One of the program I like most from Ed was Mephisto Gideon. If I remember later Ed create a free Mephisto Gideon Version with an other name. I have all the versions by Ed and I am sure on Ed Website much are available today too, not looking.

But with Mephisto Gideon (first version ... very nice grafic ... I had a lot of fun too). If I remember I got 1995 or 1998 in Paderborn a version of Schach 3.0 and I have in my private database a lot of games between Gideon vs. Schach 3.0. Schach 3.0 was a German not available engine and it was very strong. So nice games I produce here ...

Most games I produce with RexChess 2.1, 2.3 and Zarkov 2.51, Psion years before. Also an older Nimzo 1x was very nice and Gerd Isenberg send me for many years a nice version of IsiChess by slow post (Isichess was also a short time Commercial available) I am using for tourneys. Really interesting to looking in the old games I produced here ... means to analyze the 40 in 120 tournament games on older hardware (386 16Mhz and 486 33Mhz and so one today with modern Hardware and engines.

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

sure in 1-2 months I am an MS DOS expert again ...

But I am very terrifiend ... how many things we forget in 20 years only. Most of time we are looking on current engines and developments ... we forget the history of computer chess and in history of computer chess we can find much treasures.