Big problem with CuteChess GUI on time per move mode.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

George Tsavdaris

Big problem with CuteChess GUI on time per move mode.

Post by George Tsavdaris »

It seems that i can't seem to play a tournament/game with time controls set to X seconds per MOVE on Cutechess 1.0(as also the previous) GUI.
The specific problem is when i try to play a game or tournament in the CuteChess GUI with any engines(doesn't matter the engine, the problem occurs with every engine) with a time control set to 1 second per move , or even 3 or even 5 seconds per move(!!), then one engine always loses on time after some 3-4-5-6 moves.

While using the command line version of CuteChess 1.0 (cutechess-cli) with the same time controls(for example -each tc=1/1) everything runs normal and games are played normally with no time losses.

Also, in the CuteChess GUI i can normally play very short time control games when i choose time per game. For example i can play games with time control 1 minute per GAME(engines don't run out of time), but i can't play games with time control 5 seconds per MOVE(engines run out of time every single time!).
Very strange.

Any ideas?? :cry: :cry:
(Windows 7 x64, Intel Core i5-6500 3.20 GHz, 16 GB RAM, running CuteChess GUI with administrative privileges)

[EDIT]
Note that when i put margin = 5 ms for example, in the time controls to reserve some time for avoiding losses on time(i remembered that i have asked again this question HERE, it seems i'm getting older :D) then Stockfish doesn't run out of time but SOS 5.1 for example. So it's not a general solution.
So why in cutechess-cli i can play with SOS for example normally under time control 1 second per move, but in cutechess GUI i can't even with giving it plus 5 ms??
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....