Official GPL webpage available?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bhlangonijr

Re: Official GPL ... webpage about it available?

Post by bhlangonijr »

Houdini wrote:
Frank Quisinsky wrote:Peter:
Robbolito is GPL
Only the first unclear Igorit sources are PD
Frank,

Not for the first time, I'm afraid that you are very badly informed.

For a Robbolito source code without any license, you have to look no further than the Ippolit web site: http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/RobboLito .

You will find Robbolito version 0.085f1 with Italian/Albanian (?) file names, variables etc. I have no idea who created this release, but I doubt that it was Norman. It may be the person that identifies himself as "Roberto Pescatore" (= "Bobby Fischer" - so probably not his real name) on the Ippolit web site.

The so-called "GPL-licensed" version Norman released later is virtually identical to this 0.085f1 version, if you inspect the source codes you will find no changes other than translating files and variables to English and reorganizing spaces.

Cheers,
Robert
Okay, clearly it was not released under GPL license, but is it saying somewhere this version is on the public domain?
Mind that the original author (even with pseudonym?) must explicitly disclaim the copyright in order to it be a PD software.
PS: I realized that you are making up your defense under the argument of the unlicensed version of Robbo. :twisted:

Regards,
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

bhlangonijr wrote:
Houdini wrote:
Frank Quisinsky wrote: Robbolito is GPL
Frank,

For a Robbolito source code without any license, you have to look no further than the Ippolit web site: http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/RobboLito .
Okay, clearly it was not released under GPL license, but is it saying somewhere this version is on the public domain?
Mind that the original author (even with pseudonym?) must explicitly disclaim the copyright in order to it be a PD software.
There is this:

Code: Select all

TRASMISSIONE ("id name RobboLito verzione %s\n", VERSION);
  TRASMISSIONE ("id author Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin, ");
  TRASMISSIONE ("Igor Igorovich Igoronov, Roberto Pescatore\n");
  TRASMISSIONE ("id copyright Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin (all), "
                "92th plus 93th year from Revolution, PUBLICDOMAIN (workers)\n");
  TRASMISSIONE ("id dedication To Vladimir Ilyich\n");
Even if the names are possibly not real (authors do have the right of publishing under a pseudonym), and in the absense of any other notices in the package, it might be interpreted as a release of the economic rights into the public domain. But it is not very explicit, and if the authors would challenge this interpretation it is not clear what a judge would make of such a confused statement.

However, copyright laws are far more interesting than that. Under article 6bis of the Berne convention (Russia, Italy and Albania all fall under that convention), even though the author can transfer his economic rights, he can't transfer, not even voluntarily(!), his moral rights as the convention calls them. These moral rights, which are hard legal rights, include a lot of things amongst others the right to be listed as the author of their work.
Berne convention (Article 6bis) wrote:(1) Independently of the author's economic rights, and even after the transfer of the said rights, the author shall have the right to claim authorship of the work [...]
Therefore, if hypothetically somebody is taking code from a public domain version of Robbolito and releasing it under a different author name that is still a violation of the original author's legal rights.
PS: I realized that you are making up your defense under the argument of the unlicensed version of Robbo. :twisted:
Mind that we should presume that the legal status of Robbolito is not tied to the legal status of Houdini, shouldn't we?
kranium

Post by kranium »

Houdini wrote:
Frank Quisinsky wrote:Peter:
Robbolito is GPL
Only the first unclear Igorit sources are PD
Frank,

You will find Robbolito version 0.085f1 with Italian/Albanian (?) file names, variables etc. I have no idea who created this release, but I doubt that it was Norman. It may be the person that identifies himself as "Roberto Pescatore" (= "Bobby Fischer" - so probably not his real name) on the Ippolit web site.

The so-called "GPL-licensed" version Norman released later is virtually identical to this 0.085f1 version, if you inspect the source codes you will find no changes other than translating files and variables to English and reorganizing spaces.

Cheers,
Robert
Robert:

RobboLito 0.085f1 uses long long integers to represent 64-bit numbers in it's UCI output:
TRASMISSIONE ("info time %lld nodes %lld nps %lld cpuload %d\n", t, NODOS, nps * 1000, (int) ((double) u / (double) x * 1000.0))

In the 15 GPL'd RobboLitos I released, I typedef(ed) an unsigned 64-bit integer type (called I64u) specifically for this purpose:

From RobboLito 0.085g3
"info time %I64u nodes %I64u nps %I64u cpuload %u"

When examining Houdini_w32_1CPU.exe (build 2010-05-16), I find:
"info time %I64u nodes %I64u nps %I64u cpuload %u"

Can you please explain this?
bhlangonijr

Post by bhlangonijr »

marcelk wrote:
Mind that we should presume that the legal status of Robbolito is not tied to the legal status of Houdini, shouldn't we?
I mean if Houdini is really based on a PD software there is no legal case here. The only issue would be with his (Robert Houdart) sense of moral and fairness....
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

marcelk wrote:There is this:

Even if the names are possibly not real (authors do have the right of publishing under a pseudonym), and in the absense of any other notices in the package, it might be interpreted as a release of the economic rights into the public domain. But it is not very explicit, and if the authors would challenge this interpretation it is not clear what a judge would make of such a confused statement.
A judge would probably say that they are releasing their rights to Vladimir Ilyich (Lenin) :D :D.
There's probably a lot of humor hidden in all this - I only recognize the Roberto Pescatore part ("Bobby Fischer"), I have no idea whether the other names refer to any real or fictitious people.

Robert
Rein Halbersma

Post by Rein Halbersma »

Houdini wrote:

A judge would probably say that they are releasing their rights to Vladimir Ilyich (Lenin) :D :D.
There's probably a lot of humor hidden in all this - I only recognize the Roberto Pescatore part ("Bobby Fischer"), I have no idea whether the other names refer to any real or fictitious people.

Robert
Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin is the main character from a Dostoyevski poem called the Double:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double ... sburg_Poem
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Houdini wrote:

Robert
Yes, there is a lot of joking in these sources.

The point is: a work can only enter the public domain through expiration of all rights. This includes economic rights and moral rights. Moral rights cannot be transferred or forfeited in countries that follow the Berne convention, not even by making a statement. (Economic rights can be transferred that way). 'Public domain' in such countries means free of all rights, not just economic rights. Note that the USA is different in this regard of the transfer of moral rights, but Russia and European countries follow Berne article 6bis.

Therefore, technically, a younger than 50 years software program can't be in the 'public domain', even if the authors claim that it is. They will keep the rights to be represented as the author, and the right that the work is not abused and a few more, until that right expires (which is at least 50 years after their death, in many countries longer).

In Dutch:
http://www.iusmentis.com/auteursrecht/publiekdomein/

It is interesting matter and different from what I thought I knew.
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

Houdini wrote: ................................................

You will find Robbolito version 0.085f1 with Italian/Albanian (?) file names, variables etc.

Just for curiosity, it's Italian. Albanian is very different. It's not a perfect Italian, anyway. The word "verzione" (version) should be "versione". And there's something else which makes me think the author of Robbo isn't really italian. It's the order of writing words, similar to english rather than italian. Example: in english, one say "move generator", which in italian should be "generatore di mossa", but the file name in the source is "mossa_gen.c" instead of "gen_mossa.c" (a more natural way to write it in italian). The same happens for all variable names I (quickly) examined in some source files.
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)