Collection of questions for a possible Don Daily interview

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Collection of questions for a possible Don Daily interview

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi,

for me the most interesting news this year is the new engine of Don Daily. With more endgame knowledge I am sure a new ELO moster was born. Furthermore, very interesting that one of the computer chess profs is back.

In older times "my work for Arena, all the interviews I do with chess programmers" I had the idea to create an interview by users. To ask in the own chess forum for the questions. I never do that, today I don't know why?

After I read that Don Daily is back ...
I think a good moment for such an idea.

Perhaps its interesting to collect questions for Don Daily in CCC and to create of all this questions a nice interview with Don Daily.

I know Don Daily from Leiden (very very nice person). I am sure Don Daily will answer of the questions by users (I never ask him).

Best
Frank
Howard E

Re: Collection of questions for a possible Don Daily intervi

Post by Howard E »

Why is it named Doch?
09-980 number - sounds like many versions. So how long has it been in the making?
Any chess programs that inspired you?
Socrates connection - any remnants from it?
Future projections on other releases?
Will you go commercial?
Will you do a commercial ? - just kidding
Future endgame bases, multi processor?

Hope the interview happens.
Franks, I've enjoyed your previous intrerviews with others programs.
Frank Quisinsky

Hello Howard,

thanks for your answer and the first questions you added.

I will add some questions too ...

1. Most are thinking that your partner Larry Kaufmann will create only the opening books for the common projects "Mini (WM Köln, Germany), Socrates, Corel Chess, Cilkchess, Doch". Helps Larry with programming too. What is the exactly job by Larry in the team.

2. Larry is working in Rybka team too. Ended this work by Larry and if so, why?

3. Seems that Doch have problems in endgames. After your information Doch isn' ready. Is perhaps one reason for your statement the endgame.

4. The time after Cilkchess.
Do you losed your interest on chess programming after Cilkchess? What are the reasons for it.

5. Do you have a look in all the strong and free available sources (like Fruit / Toga others from the Fruit family, Glaurung, others). What did you think is the main reason for the bigger ELO jumps in computer chess in the latest years and what of the new ideas have potential for further big steps. Could you write a little bit about your own ideas for Doch.

6. Is Doch completly new written or do you used parts of your older engines.

7. It seems that your first available version of Doch is directly one of the TOP 10 engines in the world (with 1 Core). How long you are working on Doch before you released version 09.980.

What I have so far in my brain (in bad English). I have to working out the questions in a better english.

I am thinking about it to enjoyed the interview collection. Some people like the interviews with chess programmers Alex and I do in the past (available on Arena site).

Doch --- possible is DOnCHess, but a good question.

I hope that much others will add his questions and _we_ can corporate a good and interesting interview with Don / Larry.

Best
Frank
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

You have been working in the games programming community for a long time. When you, with your experience, made a new chess engine, what did you do differently from before and what do you focus on now?

You have written engines for other games. Are there techniques, ideas or viewpoints you find interesting and want to try in the chess engine?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Here's a few general questions:

- Where do you see the computer chess field in 5 years? 10 years?

- Any guess as to how long until the top programs draw virtually all games against each other?
Frank Quisinsky

Re: Short information ...

Hi there,

if we have enough questions ... I think I will wait 1-2 weeks ... I can create the interview and send it to Don.

Later I will add all in CCC and on a HTML page too.

Possible that Don read it :-)

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Re: Interview sent ...

Hi there,

I got the permission for an interview with Don Daily and will send him in the next hour the questions.

But I am on weekend not online.
Furthermore, its xMas time and I possible that Don send the answers a little bit later.

I will released the interview if I have as soon as possible.

Thanks to the readers of CCC which gave me questions.
For sure ... all is included.

Best
Frank
perejaslav

Post by perejaslav »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: for me the most interesting news this year is the new engine of Don Daily.
As for me the most interesting news this year was IPP/Robbolito :lol:

But Doch is also VERY promising project. I'm looking forward for a SMP version and have 2 simple questions to Don:

1) When Deep Doch will be released?
2) Deep Doch will be commercial project or no?

Thanks, that all I want to know so far

Good Luck Don with your new interesting chess engine!
Frank Quisinsky

Hi,

to late, interview sent.

But for sure ... the questions are included :-)

Best
Frank
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

1. Opening books: What role has it played in computer chess development and what future role do you see it playing?

2. When do you expect chess will be solved? To be more specific, do you expect there to be a formula where a positional can be plugged in that would output win, draw, or loss?

Franklin