ChessUSA.com TalkChess.com
Hosted by Your Move Chess & Games

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upcoming feature in Chess for Android: filter PGN games

Post new topic       TalkChess.com Forum Index -> Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions Threaded
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aart Bik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Upcoming feature in Chess for Android: filter PGN games Reply to topic Reply with quote

The next release of Chess for Android features a simple filter while loading PGN games from a file. If you feel strongly about adding other filter options (within reason), please let me know.

Joshua Shriver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming feature in Chess for Android: filter PGN games Reply to topic Reply with quote

Love you GUI thanks for writing it. Toss in the Gaviota port to android and I have a fun lunch break daily Smile

Edit: ELO rating for B/W would be nice.
Aart Bik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming feature in Chess for Android: filter PGN games Reply to topic Reply with quote

jshriver wrote:
Love you GUI thanks for writing it. Toss in the Gaviota port to android and I have a fun lunch break daily Smile

Edit: ELO rating for B/W would be nice.

My pleasure Joshua. One is glad to be of service!

Thanks for your suggestion. I assume for ELOs one would like a rather flexible filter, such as greater than, less than, and perhaps even intervals. Do you typically filter differently for white and black, or would a single filter for both players suffice? Just trying to restrict GUI real estate here Smile
Joshua Shriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming feature in Chess for Android: filter PGN games Reply to topic Reply with quote

abik wrote:
I assume for ELOs one would like a rather flexible filter, such as greater than, less than, and perhaps even intervals. Do you typically filter differently for white and black, or would a single filter for both players suffice? Just trying to restrict GUI real estate here Smile

Yup in general I filter for certain ranges for both b/w, like if I want a small subset that is only high GM games I'll do >2600 for both.

Very rarely do I see games where you have an unbalanced game like 1600 vs 2600.

Then again I can always just do that with pgn-extract before loading anyway which is what I do now.

Happy coding!
Aart Bik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming feature in Chess for Android: filter PGN games Reply to topic Reply with quote

jshriver wrote:
Happy coding!

How does the following look to define the ELO rating range 1200-1700. Leaving the lower or upper field empty effectively makes that field unbounded (for example, "1200-" means all ELO rating 1200 and above, while "-1700" means all ELO ratings 1700 and below).

Joshua Shriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming feature in Chess for Android: filter PGN games Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wonderful.
Ted Wong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Upcoming feature in Chess for Android: filter PGN games Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think filtering on years is more important than ratings. Let's say if I download TWIC pgns, I don't need to filter on ratings.
Aart Bik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming feature in Chess for Android: filter PGN games Reply to topic Reply with quote

kinderchocolate wrote:
I think filtering on years is more important than ratings. Let's say if I download TWIC pgns, I don't need to filter on ratings.

Thanks for the other suggestion. I just released a new version, but if I get a lot of requests for more filter, I may add this one too Smile
Post new topic       TalkChess.com Forum Index -> Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions All times are GMT
Threaded
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: