ChessUSA.com TalkChess.com
Hosted by Your Move Chess & Games

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic       TalkChess.com Forum Index -> Computer Chess Club: General Topics Threaded
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas J. Miller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will programmers receive toys and candy or coal this Christmas? To find out, let's check Santa's Naughty or Nice List Very Happy
Latest releases of many commercial and free engines have been included together with the most important open source ones.

Testing all the engines and preparing the dendogram has taken a lot of time so I wouldn't like this thread to be moved to the Engine Origins subforum. Therefore, please, avoid making comments like XXX is clone of YYY or so.
Everyone can nowadays read a dendogram, so you can draw your own conclusions by yourself.

Thanks to Adam Hair who helped me improve selfsimilarity results.

Tom Likens

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello Thomas,

Djinn is weak, but I know I haven't copied it--that said, I would be very curious who it is most similar to. Could you include it in the test, (latest public version is 0.992)?

thanks,
--tom
Julien MARCEL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition Reply to topic Reply with quote

So Gaviota is a clone of Chiron ? I KNEW IT !!!
Thomas J. Miller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Likens wrote:
Hello Thomas,

Djinn is weak, but I know I haven't copied it--that said, I would be very curious who it is most similar to. Could you include it in the test, (latest public version is 0.992)?

thanks,
--tom

Hello Tom,
unfortunately Djinn supports only the Winboard protocol and Don's Similarity Tester works with UCI engines. I might try Wb2UCI, but I had some problems with it in the past.

Last edited by Thomas J. Miller on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas J. Miller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition Reply to topic Reply with quote

JuLieN wrote:
So Gaviota is a clone of Chiron ? I KNEW IT !!!

LOL perhaps I said too soon that everyone can read a dendogram nowadays Laughing

You can safely ignore anything above 15 (perhaps also above 12.5).
Tom Likens

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition Reply to topic Reply with quote

ThomasJMiller wrote:
Tom Likens wrote:
Hello Thomas,

thanks,
--tom

Hello Tom,
unfortunately Djinn supports only the Winboard protocol and Don's Similarity Tester works with UCI engines. I might try Wb2UCI, but I had some problems with it in the past.

Hi Thomas,

I think I need to do what Jon did with Arasan and make it support both UCI and Winboard. It isn't all that hard to do, I've just been too lazy. Maybe over Christmas.

regards,
--tom
Marco Belli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition Reply to topic Reply with quote

does it means that Vajolet is not similar to any other engine?
I'm really happy about that Smile
Thomas J. Miller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition Reply to topic Reply with quote

elcabesa wrote:
does it means that Vajolet is not similar to any other engine?
I'm really happy about that Smile

Santa said you'll receive a toy Very Happy
Marco Belli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition Reply to topic Reply with quote

it's has been the most beautiful toy I received, I used lot's of ideas code from stockfish and other open source engines and I alway worried about "being a clone".
Now I'm happy. My engine is not strong but it's not a clone too Smile
Adam Hair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Likens wrote:
Hello Thomas,

thanks,
--tom

Djinn 0.925x was included in the similarity testing that I did a couple of years ago. Ed is hosting my report here. In the dendrograms at that link, distances greater than 0.44 are good.
Post new topic       TalkChess.com Forum Index -> Computer Chess Club: General Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Threaded
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: