Chessmaster Diamond questions - help from German speakers?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JonP01

Chessmaster Diamond questions - help from German speakers?

Post by JonP01 »

Hi all,

I have just acquired a Chessmaster Diamond and although I know most of the operational basics of the machine, I still have some specific questions related to usage. The problem is that the user manual for this machine only appeared in German. I did create an English user guide some years ago to assist English users with the basics of the machine, but there are perhaps some more esoteric things buried in the German manual that could use some clarification for the benefit of English only speakers.

I was hoping that perhaps we may have some native German speakers on these forums who are expert in the operation of this machine and / or have access to the original German manual.

Anyway...my first question relates to setting the "strategy" of the machine as it effects the modules (i.e P10 opening and P11 endgame). From what I can gather the machine will only function optimally with the P11 endgame module if the strategy is set from the default of "0" to "1". I did try a test game with the endgame module and strategy set to "0" and it played absolutely horribly. It did seem to play normally when set to "1" though. So is this assumption correct?

The second question relates to the correct time to change modules from P10 to P11. I think I read in the German manual that it could be changed to P11 as soon as the machine gets out it's openings book. So would that mean once out of book, I put the P11 module in and make sure strategy is set to "1"? Also, just on this point of getting to the end of the book, is there any way to know the machine is about to get out of book before it makes it's first move thinking for itself? The reason I ask is that so far the only process I seem to be able to follow is to wait till the machine starts thinking for itself. Then I interrupt the thinking to make it move, take back the move, change the module and then let it start thinking again. I was wondering if there is a better way?

And still on the subject of module swapping :? It seems that when a "match" level is selected, it is no longer possible to change modules, since the function to do that is disabled when a match level is selected. This seems quite silly, so I am wondering if there is a way to do it? At the moment, I am getting around this by starting the game on, for example, level 8, then when the machine gets out of opening book, I swap the modules and then set a match level. Again this seems an ackward way around things, but perhaps it is the only solution?

Anyway, these are all the questions at the moment. I will probably have more when I wake up in the morning semi-refreshed.

Bamboozled Regards

Jonathan
Steve B

Re: Chessmaster Diamond questions - help from German speaker

Post by Steve B »

Jon

please...not ANOTHER shocking development in two days for me

first yesterday i was fighting for my life to rescue all of my Schachcomputers from the basement flooding and now ..now...
i can hardly type the words...and now..Jon buys a HOLZ SCHACHOMPUTER??!?!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

The Prince Of Plastic..acquires a Wooden Chess Computer

its too much for me...this must be all a dream...

Snoring Regards
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Winter is fast approaching and I need something to stoke the fire. Meanwhile, I note that you make no mention of my acquisition of Beryl, the Star of the show. And finely crafted plastic at that.

Kittinger sends his 4K Regards

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:Winter is fast approaching and I need something to stoke the fire. Meanwhile, I note that you make no mention of my acquisition of Beryl, the Star of the show. And finely crafted plastic at that.

Kittinger sends his 4K Regards

Jonathan

well i am going to take FULL credit\blame for you finally seeing the light of day and getting your first taste of glorious ..magnificant.. Wood
i warn you now though..once you have wood before you..there is no turning back

as to the Star Beryl..

you should have gone for the Star Opal..its stronger

i think you should send Alain your manual for the RFT SD
i am fairly certain he would post it on his site although its not officially authorized by the now defunct East German company
it is the ONLY manual in English for the computer and is superbly written and informative not to mention the fact that it greatly enhances the enjoyability of the computer for any owner not fluent in German

i remember how thrilled i was when Cameron send it to me all those years ago

so much so that i paid him $100 over and above the $300 he charged me for it

Well Worth It Regards
Steve
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Hi Steve,

I can send the document to Alain, just on the proviso that it is an English user guide though. clearly there is some esoteric stuff buried in that original German manual that does not exist in my user guide....

Perhaps I am suffering early senile decay, but I seem to remember this Diamond being much stronger than it is. I had thought it might be about 1400 ELO but this machine on my desk wouldn't even be pushing the 1000 barrier. Even on it's longest tournament level (game in 2 hours 30 minutes) it makes terrible blunders barely above beginner level. That is why I am wondering if there is something fundamental I am missing as regards configuration etc. That said, I think I have been pretty thorough and I'm not sure I have actually missed anything.

I remember going to Parr's years ago to test the thing out for Cameron and it did not play the same horrific chess that this one is playing. Was there ever a third module for this thing? Or some sort of minor change in production?

Totally confused Regards

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:Hi Steve,

I can send the document to Alain, just on the proviso that it is an English user guide though. clearly there is some esoteric stuff buried in that original German manual that does not exist in my user guide....

Perhaps I am suffering early senile decay, but I seem to remember this Diamond being much stronger than it is. I had thought it might be about 1400 ELO but this machine on my desk wouldn't even be pushing the 1000 barrier. Even on it's longest tournament level (game in 2 hours 30 minutes) it makes terrible blunders barely above beginner level. That is why I am wondering if there is something fundamental I am missing as regards configuration etc. That said, I think I have been pretty thorough and I'm not sure I have actually missed anything.

I remember going to Parr's years ago to test the thing out for Cameron and it did not play the same horrific chess that this one is playing. Was there ever a third module for this thing? Or some sort of minor change in production?

Jonathan
no something is wrong Jon
it should play around 1400 ish right out of the box without doing anything special to the settings

sadly i dont have my RFT's with me or i could compare my settings with yours

try posting the question on Kurt's Site as well

Concerned Regards
Steve

Totally confused Regards

Jonathan[/quote]
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

OK, well here are a couple of examples of the horrific blunders I am talking about:

In the following position, no matter how much time I give it, it plays Nxd5??. I am sure I tested this position out on the one in Parr's shop years ago and it did not take the pawn.

[D] r1bqkb1r/pppn1ppp/5n2/3p2B1/3P4/2N5/PP2PPPP/R2QKBNR w KQkq - 0 6

and here is another horrifying example. Here it plays d5?? Oh, the horror, the horror.

[D] rnbqkb1r/ppp2ppp/3p4/8/4n3/5N2/PPPPQPPP/RNB1KB1R b KQkq - 0 5

Note: I deliberately took the machine out of library so it would think for itself when making these moves.

Tearful Regards

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:OK, well here are a couple of examples of the horrific blunders I am talking about:

In the following position, no matter how much time I give it, it plays Nxd5??. I am sure I tested this position out on the one in Parr's shop years ago and it did not take the pawn.

[D] r1bqkb1r/pppn1ppp/5n2/3p2B1/3P4/2N5/PP2PPPP/R2QKBNR w KQkq - 0 6

i tested this position on the Yeno for Cameron,,it also takes the pawn on its TM Level

i seem to remember Kurt telling me there is some sort of signal in the display when it is time to change from the book module to the endgame module
also when you take the book module out i think you are supposed to insert the endgame module right away and not wait until the endgame

sadly i have the actual module changing procedure written down and actually inserted in your manual as an addendum

i simply dont have the computers with me now to describe it

So Close And Yet So Far Regards
Steve
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Hi Steve,

The first QGD position is one of the classic tests Cameron and I have used over the years to determine a minimal level of computer competancy. By that I mean a machine that plays passable chess should not really fall for that sort of very basic thing. Even my most basic 4K machine (Star Beryl) declines the pawn after less than a minute's thought.

And I distinctly remember testing that very position out in Peter's shop years ago and ringing Cameron to tell him the machine did not fall for it. I would not even have brought one of the machines home with me that day if it had failed this most basic of tests. So I remain mystified. I have tried this position with both the P10 modules and P11 modules and various iterations of level, "deep" and "strategy". It falls for it regardless.

I am back at Peter's on Thursday and I am going to test the same unit I tested several years ago. Since Peter tells me they all came from the same batch, then the possibilities are that I was thinking of another machine (but I don't think I was), mine is somehow faulty, or there is some configuration I am missing. But since I tested the one in the shop at default settings (I did not know how to change the settings at the time) then I am not sure that has anything to do with it.

I'm back home this afternoon, so I am going to relax, have a cup of coffee, and give it another go. I would love for there to be a simple explanation for all of this. Perhaps things will be a little clearer on Thursday. If I get the same results, then clearly I have my wires crossed about machines, test positions and test results.

Disappointing holz debut regards

Jonathan
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Steve,

The good news is that I found it does not fall for the QDG trap. It had something to do with me setting the strategy setting to "1" when it should have been left at "0".

However, I continue to find it making horrific blunders. This is the worst I have ever seen this side of the earliest Fidelity machines from the 1970s. Chessmaster Diamond plays Bh5?? here, regardless of thinking time, module inserted, or any parameter settings:

[D]r2q1rk1/pp1nppbp/1n1p2p1/2pP4/2P1PPb1/2N2N1P/PP1BB1P1/R2Q1RK1 b - - 0 1

and in an endgame position, rather than queen it's pawn on the next move, it decided to let the opponent take it - for absolutely NO reason whatsoever.

Ever Increasingly Disappointed Regards

Jonathan