What is New in Toga II 1.3x4?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: What is New in Toga II 1.3x4?

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Thanks for the games Terry. Unfortunately ít seems I need Chessbase to read this output and I don't have Chessbase installed. So it's a bit hard to follow any of the games. Can you let your Chessbase maybe do a pgn output Terry? Probably it was just an unlucky match for Toga here..

Eelco
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Thanks for the games Terry. Unfortunately ít seems I need Chessbase to read this output and I don't have Chessbase installed. So it's a bit hard to follow any of the games. Can you let your Chessbase maybe do a pgn output Terry? Probably it was just an unlucky match for Toga here..

Eelco
Sorry about that. Well I may run more games and see if it was unlucky or not.

As for the PGN, just copy my games in wordpad and weed out the ChessBase junk, then you'll have clean PGNs :wink:

I never thought that was going to be a problem as almost everyone here has at least one ChessBase product :?

I have too many! :shock:

Terry
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:Thanks for the games Terry. Unfortunately ít seems I need Chessbase to read this output and I don't have Chessbase installed. So it's a bit hard to follow any of the games. Can you let your Chessbase maybe do a pgn output Terry? Probably it was just an unlucky match for Toga here..

Eelco
Sorry about that. Well I may run more games and see if it was unlucky or not.

As for the PGN, just copy my games in wordpad and weed out the ChessBase junk, then you'll have clean PGNs :wink:

I never thought that was going to be a problem as almost everyone here has at least one ChessBase product :?

I have too many! :shock:

Terry
If I ever buy a Chessbase product it would probably be because I want to study Jeroen Noomen's opening novelties in Rykba II.ctg... Which is a Rybka and Convekta product.. But it is not really so much a matter of principle but also because I can never really make good use of all those different programs anyway let alone another GUI to get used to. There are 198 different Toga settings listed in my Shredder GUI that I should test first, that should keep at least my computer busy for more than five years. But then I may never make a new Toga or Glaurung or Pro deo or Hiarcs setting to try or my five year testing schedule is not working anymore, or maybe there is a new version of Toga first, or one of Glaurung, or a Shogi program from Tord, or against all odds a new Fruit release from Fabien and Ryan, or who knows, maybe Bruce Moreland finally releases Ferret from its compound! :P

Thank goodness there is the CEGT and CCRL and SSDF and some other indefatigable chesstesters, so at least we can keep up to date with all the important new versions of chessprograms and even get accurate ratings for them by just following the lists! Where would we be without them, we would be totally in the dark, nowhere :shock:
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Some other testresults of Toga 1.3 Blueberry at 5 minutes + 5 seconds or slightly longer Fischer time control against Rybka 1.0 Beta, Toga Blueberry did not start so well against Rybka here either but it is still a race:

First Run Toga 1.3 Blueberry 0.93g9i - Rybka 1.0 Beta, Shredder GUI, Shredder9.bkt for both programs, 5 minutes per game with 5 seconds Fischer increment. 64 Mb hash for both programs. No bitbases for Toga.

Rybka Beta wins 3½-2½ [+2 =3 -1]

Second Run Toga 1.3 Blueberry 0.93g9i - Rybka 1.0 Beta, Shredder GUI, Shredder9.bkt for both programs, 5 minutes per game with 5 seconds Fischer increment. 64 Mb hash for both programs. No bitbases for Toga.

A tie 3-3 [+1 =4 -1]

Third Run Toga 1.3 Blueberry 0.93g9i - Rybka 1.0 Beta, Shredder GUI, Shredder9.bkt for both programs, 5 minutes per game with 5 seconds Fischer increment. 128 Mb hash for both programs. No bitbases for Toga.

Rybka Beta wins 4½-1½ [+4 =1 -1]

Fourth Run Toga 1.3 Blueberry 0.93g9i - Rybka 1.0 Beta, Shredder GUI, Shredder9.bkt for both programs, 5 minutes per game with 5 seconds Fischer increment. 128 Mb hash for both programs. No bitbases for Toga.

Rybka Beta wins 3½-½ [+3 =1 -0]

Fifth Run Toga 1.3 Blueberry 0.93g9i - Rybka 1.0 Beta, Shredder GUI, Shredder9.bkt for both programs, 5 minutes per game with 5 seconds Fischer increment. 128 Mb hash for both programs. No bitbases for Toga.

Toga Blueberry wins 2½-1½ [+2 =1 -1]

Sixth Run Toga 1.3 Blueberry 0.93g9i - Rybka 1.0 Beta, Shredder GUI, Shredder9.bkt for both programs, 5 minutes per game with 5 seconds Fischer increment. 128 Mb hash for both programs. No bitbases for Toga.

A tie 2-2 [+1 =2 -1]

Seventh Run Toga 1.3 Blueberry 0.93g9i - Rybka 1.0 Beta, Shredder GUI, Shredder9.bkt for both programs, 5 minutes per game with 5 seconds Fischer increment. 128 Mb hash for both programs. No bitbases for Toga.

A tie 2-2 [+1 =2 -1]

Eighth Run Toga 1.3 Blueberry 0.93g9i - Rybka 1.0 Beta, Shredder GUI, Shredder9.bkt for both programs, 5 minutes per game with 5 seconds Fischer increment. 128 Mb hash for both programs. No bitbases for Toga.

Toga Blueberry wins 2½-1½ [+2 =1 -1]

Ninth Run Toga 1.3 Blueberry 0.93g9i - Rybka 1.0 Beta, Shredder GUI, Shredder9.bkt for both programs, 6 minutes per game with 6 seconds Fischer increment. 128 Mb hash for both programs. No bitbases for Toga.

Toga Blueberry wins 3-1 [+2 =2 -0]

Intermediate Result Rybka 1.0 Beta leads 22½-19½

Eelco
Terry McCracken

A good result for Toga I.3, at blitz it appears to do significantly better.

Thanks for the tests!

Best,
Terry
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

107kN/s
?? toga only doing 107 KN??

whats the machine behind ? seems rather SLOW.
and you play BLITZ on such a slow machine and wonder about the results you have ?
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

its completely unimportant what the rating lists show.
toga 1.3x4 is a lot stronger than toga 1.2.1a.

if the rating lists cannot see this, there is something wrong with their way of testing.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

mclane wrote:
107kN/s

and you play BLITZ on such a slow machine and wonder about the results you have ?
Results should still be relative in most cases despite the hardware used.
Those who are not fortunate enough to have the latest hardware shouldn't feel embarrassed about enjoying their hobby and posting their results.
All power to them! 8-)
Terry McCracken

mclane wrote:its completely unimportant what the rating lists show.
toga 1.3x4 is a lot stronger than toga 1.2.1a.

if the rating lists cannot see this, there is something wrong with their way of testing.
Only in Fantasy Land Thorsten....
Terry McCracken

mclane wrote:
107kN/s

It wasn't game in 5 min. Thorsten...if you don't like the slow hardware Thorsten, then kindly donate me a fast machine!