Crafty no improvement in strength?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Crafty no improvement in strength?

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote:My testing also shows that crafty has improved about 50 points from the 19.20 series,
All the latest Crafty versions have shown progressive gains in strength in CCRL 40/40 testing.
Still early in my testing, but I'm particularly impressed with the latest version so far - Crafty 21.5.
Keep up the good work Bob and team. 8-)
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Graham Banks wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:My testing also shows that crafty has improved about 50 points from the 19.20 series,
All the latest Crafty versions have shown progressive gains in strength in CCRL 40/40 testing.
Still early in my testing, but I'm particularly impressed with the latest version so far - Crafty 21.5.
Keep up the good work Bob and team. 8-)
Word...
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Tony Thomas wrote:
(....)
counting out Fritz and Junior.
(...)
and Zap and Toga ...
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Marc Lacrosse wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
(....)
counting out Fritz and Junior.
(...)
and Zap and Toga ...
Yes, counting out Zappa, a new version of Fruit is already on the list. I dont count toga as another engine.
fern

Post by fern »

He does not criticize the program, neither his author. He just observe that, perhaps, there is not progress in it.
To realize that it is not necessary to be programmer; it is enough to be user.

my best
Fernando
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

fern wrote:He does not criticize the program, neither his author. He just observe that, perhaps, there is not progress in it.
To realize that it is not necessary to be programmer; it is enough to be user.

my best
Fernando
His criticism is invalid.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

nuff wrote:The likes of Fritz, Rybka etc can claim improvement in strength as the later versions are released. How come crafty does not enjoy the same improvement in strength as the commercial versions? Even something like the free spike has seen a dramatic improvement in strength from 0.9 to 1.2.
My $.02 - Crafty is getting better - I do think some of the commercial engines are getting better faster. Latest test version of Crafty is clearly stronger (imo) than any previous version. Crafty is non commercial , being worked by voluteers, when they have the time, while holding down their day jobs. Commercial engines are being by people who are depending, or perhaps trying to depend on their success and earning financial rewards - perhaps enough to live on. Big difference. If interesed, I can you send a version that i better than any previous version of crafty and you can run your own tests. Email me mfbyrne_pa@msn.com

Michael
fern

Post by fern »

Could be, but the point is he was unfairly criticised because of his perhaps wrong critic.

Fernando
rdan1987

Post by rdan1987 »

I also received similar comments when i started to criticise the avalaible rating lists , about 2 months ago...
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

rdan1987 wrote:I also received similar comments when i started to criticise the avalaible rating lists , about 2 months ago...
You mean this thread?
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=