[OT] Has anybody heard from Sarah Bird recently?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

[OT] Has anybody heard from Sarah Bird recently?

Post by Graham Banks »

Some of us are getting very worried that we've had no contact for more than a couple of months.
No responses to emails, even ones to FICS where I've been led to believe she works.

Any Canadian members live close enough to Sarah to try and contact her?
It would be good to know she's okay.
Terry McCracken

Re: [OT] Has anybody heard from Sarah Bird recently?

Post by Terry McCracken »

Graham Banks wrote:Some of us are getting very worried that we've had no contact for more than a couple of months.
No responses to emails, even ones to FICS where I've been led to believe she works.

Any Canadian members live close enough to Sarah to try and contact her?
It would be good to know she's okay.
Well, I'm close enough, but I don't know her beyond this forum. I don't even know if Bird is her maiden name or married name?

Funny we discussed this not too long ago and you said she was still active in computer chess...now all communication has stopped? :?
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

It seesm that over the last couple of years we have l lost more than one female chess regular here. I wonder what is going on. Chessfun has not been around for quite a while too and I think there was one of two more.
Are the guys here just to rough on them or did they get a lot of person mail that wasn't very nice.
Bill
Terry McCracken

Bill Rogers wrote:It seesm that over the last couple of years we have l lost more than one female chess regular here. I wonder what is going on. Chessfun has not been around for quite a while too and I think there was one of two more.
Are the guys here just to rough on them or did they get a lot of person mail that wasn't very nice.
Bill
Chessfun and Sarah Bird, are one and the same. The other person you're thinking about is probably Tina Long, from Australia.

Anyway, Sarah has been posting in other chess computer forums, and now she hasn't been heard from, according to Graham for a couple of months, and can't get a reply by e-mail either.

Sarah is the best known female computer chess tester in the world! So if she just suddenly stopped, and dosen't reply to e-mails, then one wonders what happened :?

Terry
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

don't forget
Carolyn Huila-Läng Waikiki, Hawaii
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Yes, you are right, I was thinking of Tina Long. The last thing I remember being posted about her was a giant forest fire headed in her direction. No one has heard a peep since then.
Bill
Terry McCracken

mclane wrote:don't forget
Carolyn Huila-Läng Waikiki, Hawaii
Don't know her.

I googled her and this was the only return.

http://www.thorstenczub.de/dasteam.html
Terry McCracken

Bill Rogers wrote:Yes, you are right, I was thinking of Tina Long. The last thing I remember being posted about her was a giant forest fire headed in her direction. No one has heard a peep since then.
Bill
That's correct...I don't know what happened to her?

Terry
Nid Hogge

Post by Nid Hogge »

Hmm perhaps this thread should be stickied until we hear anything?

/Just an idea so more people see this and maybe someone knows better.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Bill Rogers wrote:Yes, you are right, I was thinking of Tina Long. The last thing I remember being posted about her was a giant forest fire headed in her direction. No one has heard a peep since then.
Bill
Bill, I haven't heard anything from Tina for more than three years. I assumed that she did not have much interest in this forum anymore. But it would be good to know how she is doing. I had not heard about that forest fire.

Tina was with the voluntary NSW Firefighters, that is always dangerous work. If anybody knows something, it would be good to hear something about her. People come and go and that can sometimes be for the better, if only to do something else for a while. But Bill, you do make me worried rather now. Maybe I should not say it, but I do miss Tina a lot.

Regards, Eelco