Test Position 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: The Correct Solution?

Post by Terry McCracken »

smirobth wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
smirobth wrote:
Karol Majewski wrote:
Marc MP wrote:
Karol Majewski wrote:
JVMerlino wrote:Yep, that MIGHT hold. Not sure, but here's the continuation I see:

1.Qxe5 fxe5 2.Rf1 Qe7 3.Bd1 b5 4.Bb3 Rc4 5.Kg2 {avoiding check on c5} a6 6.Bxc4 bxc4 7.b3 cxb3 8.axb3 Qe8 9.c4 Qe7
I will play 8...a5! and after 9.c4 Qa3!

draw!
Hi Karol,

I think you're right, and 8...a5! will draw! This more or less refutes the solution I had:

1. Qxe5 fxe5 2. Rf1 Rc8 3. Bd1 Rc4 4. Bb3 b5 5. Bxc4 bxc4 6. b4 * which is similar.

So I searched for an improvement and I think I found one!

1. Qxe5 fxe5 2. Rf1 Rc8 3. Bd1 Rc4 4. Bb3 b5 5. a4! a6 {seems forced} 6. Ba2!! Qe7 {lets try this} 7. b4! *

Now white will capture the c4-rook with a winning Q-side pawn structure! Pushing the b-pawn will give an easy win!
Yes, you're right, Ba2 is winning even in line that I found. So the best line is: 1.Qxe5!!! fxe5 2.Rf1 Qe7 3.Bd1 Rc4 4.Bb3 b5 5.a4! a6 6.Ba2! and black is completely lost.
I remember seeing this same position on CCC a while back. I think White has a pretty easy time winning in a variety of ways. For example in the above line 1.Qxe5 fxe5 2.Rf1 Qe7 3.Bd1 Rc4 4.Bb3 b5 5.Bxc4 (instead of 5.a4) 5...bxc4 6.b3 should also win pretty easily for White. You can pretty much ignore all the program evaluations, since Black's rook and king are forever stuck in the corner, and likewise Black's queen mobility is severely hampered by the mate threat. Material is mostly irrelevant here. Computer's also have severe trouble due to the horizon effect, since it will take a little time for White's queenside pawns to get far enough down the board to create havoc. But when they do (and there is no way for Black to stop this) ..... game over.
Robin, do you have the entire game score for this position? I've tried to find it on the net but to no avail so far :(

Best ,
Terry
Hi Terry,

Lewis Grimm already posted a game score up a few posts that I assume is correct. I am not sure where he found it, it doesn't seem to be in the big electronic databases. Lewis, can you name your source?
Opps! :oops: I just found it thanks.... Anyway, I've got it for my records.

He either got it from a chess database he owns or from a chess book.
If he found it on the web, I'd like to know where as well!

Terry
lewisg

Post by lewisg »

One place that I found the game was:

http://www.ajedrezdeataque.com/02%20Par ... erbach.htm[/url]
Rubinus
Full name: Pavel Háse

Post by Rubinus »

lewisg wrote:One place that I found the game was:

http://www.ajedrezdeataque.com/02%20Par ... erbach.htm
Or here, 5.1.06 (to down)
Terry McCracken

lewisg wrote:One place that I found the game was:

http://www.ajedrezdeataque.com/02%20Par ... erbach.htm[/url]
Well that explains it. Did you find it on any English site? :wink:

Anyway, I'd like to thank you for providing the pgn of this rare gem! :D

Best,
Terry

P.S. Did it win a brilliancy prize?
lewisg

Post by lewisg »

Only reference to the game on an english site that I could find was http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgam ... 98&kpage=1

Note that black's sixth move was entered incorrectly.

The PGN is definitely worth a look. There are a few good sacrifices in that one.[/url]
Terry McCracken

Has anyone Checked Rc7 and Re7?
Terry McCracken

Terry McCracken wrote:Has anyone Checked Rc7 and Re7?
Hello? Has anyone analized, 24.Qxe5! fe5 25.Rf1 Rc7!!, this is the toughest defence and I'm not sure if White can win after this move?

Terry
Marc MP

Post by Marc MP »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Hello? Has anyone analized, 24.Qxe5! fe5 25.Rf1 Rc7!!, this is the toughest defence and I'm not sure if White can win after this move?

Terry
Hi Terry,

I think black losses after this, I explained why in the post "Solution" in this thread. Unless you improved for black?
Terry McCracken

Marc MP wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:

Terry
Hi Terry,

I think black losses after this, I explained why in the post "Solution" in this thread. Unless you improved for black?
What do you do after 24.Qxe5! fe5 25.Rf1 Rc7!! Bd1 Re7!! Bb3...ok I see your post with this line, but is b5 forced?

I still think it needs to be checked further. I'll get back to you on this.

Terry

Terry
Terry McCracken

Terry McCracken wrote:
Marc MP wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:

Terry
Hi Terry,

What do you do after 24.Qxe5! fe5 25.Rf1 Rc7!! Bd1 Re7!! Bb3...ok I see your post with this line, but is b5 forced?

I still think it needs to be checked further. I'll get back to you on this.

Terry
I checked it out...I was being obtuse....yes Black is busted! Black has to push the b and a pawns and you push your pawns exchange and get a pawn on c5 forcing mate!!

What a position, and how instructive. This is a brillant gem of a game!

Thanks ever so much for posting it Marc!

Terry