Scid 3.6.11 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kirk

Re: Scid 3.6.11 released

Post by Kirk »

For the Windows version, are there any issues with Vista?
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
shiv

Post by shiv »

I have a friend who is running it on Vista without problems.
ikalel

Post by ikalel »

Finally someone took up the job of improving this great piece of software. It was badly needed.

Keep up the good work, man!!
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Thanks! I appreciate it!
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:D :D

hey, am a big fan more than 4yrs now :!: :!: :!:

.....................................Maraming Salamat Po. :!: :!:
(many thanks)

maria

ps

Hi Kirk

:wink: :wink: :wink:

................. Mu Shin ..........................
pgeorges

Re: Scid 3.6.11 released -> Scid 3.6.12

Post by pgeorges »

I had to make a quick release today :cry: (Scid 3.6.12) because I broke Crafty analysis (which does not affect UCI engines). In the meanwhile I made those changes :

- added new spelling and rating files (thanks to Franz Nagl)
- fixed a bug in opening report that would crash (floating point exception due to a division by 0) if all games in base had a score set to *
- updated swedish translation (thanks to Hans Ericson)
- added a "coach is watching you" in serious game (will detect dubious/weak/bad moves on the fly)
- added a "random level opponent" in tactical games
- fixed a bug in Crafty handling (regression introduced in 3.6.11)
fern

Post by fern »

Great database. It is full of features. and it works as a charm.
Fdo
slobo

Post by slobo »

pgeorges wrote:Hi,

I released Scid 3.6.11 at http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/

The main changes are :
- the possibility to play a "serious game" starting from any position and with more time controls (fixed depth, nodes, etc.)
- the management of variations is easier (contextual menu)
- a timer is added to tactical exercises
- added statistics on repertoire knowledge and a report on repertoire knowledge (opening trainer feature) -> I think the opening trainer is useful now ...

Pascal Georges
I admire people like you, Pascal.

Slobo
shiv

Post by shiv »

Thanks for the fixes. Quick feedback:
Rather than simply mentioning that the coach thinks that you have blundered, it might be better to have an option (before the game start) which indicates the thresholds to look for. Then depending on the option the user selects, either the wrong move and the right move along with the difference in scores can be annotated on the PGN screen or simply be passed to the user.

Example: The coach thinks you have blundered. Score in position after optimal move is +1.5. Score after your move is -1. Would you like to take your move back?

or the above message is stored in the PGN window as a comment. In essence, the game would be blunderchecked live.
ikalel

Post by ikalel »

Example: The coach thinks you have blundered. Score in position after optimal move is +1.5. Score after your move is -1. Would you like to take your move back?

or the above message is stored in the PGN window as a comment. In essence, the game would be blunderchecked live.
I think after you get the coach's warning that you've just played a bad move it would be better to simply append the coach message to the SCID or PGN file with the two numerical evaluations of the position: after the best move and after the move it was actually played.

Revealing the exact numerical evaluation of the position while the game is still in progress is like giving away too much, don't you think? Or, it could be configurable, that is, the user could choose whether he wants to see the numerical evaluation in the popup message or not.