Please advise on how one can add engine logos in Fritz

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

alekhine92

Please advise on how one can add engine logos in Fritz

Post by alekhine92 »

Honestly, I have been trying to do this for 3 months! :cry: I have been loading uci engines for months, but do not have any success in coping and pasting the logo on the engine nor first putting the logo in the documents or files directories in the Fritz program. I have seen and reviewed Steve Lopez's 2002 article and used "save picture as" and changed the pop-up to BMP. So I anyone has the blessed patience to give me a step by step, I would very much appreciate your help!

Thanks, Churchill40
Graham Banks

Re: Please advise on how one can add engine logos in Fritz

Post by Graham Banks »

The logo file should mirror the name of the exe.

Examples:

Alaric704.exe
Alaric704.bmp

Averno081Uci.exe
Averno081Uci.bmp

For native Chessbase engines, you can change the logos using a utility called reshack.
See the instructions here:
http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/discussio ... .php?t=544

Regards, Graham.
alekhine92

Post by alekhine92 »

Thanks, Graham! Where I have the problem is with the non-Chess Base engines. When I try to change the name to .BMP in the engine directory, the format converts to, using your example, Alaric704.bmp.exe, which does not work, or course. So when I copy the logo, do I paste it on top of the "create uci engine" directory, or do I place in documents or new folders first? I obiously have a quite a little problem with "execution."

Thanks,
churchill40
geots

Post by geots »

Ist be sure your logo is in bitmap form. Second, be sure your logo is in the engine folder with the exe.

Regards, George
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

churchill40 wrote:Thanks, Graham! Where I have the problem is with the non-Chess Base engines. When I try to change the name to .BMP in the engine directory, the format converts to, using your example, Alaric704.bmp.exe, which does not work, or course. So when I copy the logo, do I paste it on top of the "create uci engine" directory, or do I place in documents or new folders first? I obiously have a quite a little problem with "execution."

Thanks,
churchill40
There should be no Alaric704.bmp.exe file.

You should have Alaric704.exe and Alaric704.bmp files in the engine folder.

Regards, Graham.
alekhine92

Post by alekhine92 »

Graham and George,

When I download a non-chessbase free engine, first I extract the files, which tends to separate the logo and the engine. THEN I am able to rename the name of the engine.bmp. Then I got "create uci engine" in Fritz and add the engine (which almost always works) and then I copy the logo.bmp (i.e. crafty.bmp) into the same uci engines field. I never see the logo on that field, but when I do it again, the message says that the logo already exists, and do I want to replace it? This has never created a successful result, so I am obviously doing something wrong. If you guys have the insight, it will be most appreciated. I feel like a VERY unsuccessful progammer. :lol:

Thanks, churchill40
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

churchill40 wrote:Graham and George,

When I download a non-chessbase free engine, first I extract the files, which tends to separate the logo and the engine. THEN I am able to rename the name of the engine.bmp. Then I got "create uci engine" in Fritz and add the engine (which almost always works) and then I copy the logo.bmp (i.e. crafty.bmp) into the same uci engines field. I never see the logo on that field, but when I do it again, the message says that the logo already exists, and do I want to replace it? This has never created a successful result, so I am obviously doing something wrong. If you guys have the insight, it will be most appreciated. I feel like a VERY unsuccessful progammer. :lol:

Thanks, churchill40
You can't just rename a file as a bmp file. You need to convert it using Paint.
The best thing probably is for me to email you a couple of free engines already set up in their folders so that you can take a look.
Then we can go from there if necessary.
Message me your email address.

Regards, Graham.