Shredder 10.1 now released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AGove

Shredder 10.1 now released

Post by AGove »

A new version of Deep Shredder 10 UCI, Shredder 10 UCI and Shredder Classic 2 is available. The current version number is now 10.1 and 2.1. You can check your Shredder version in the About box in the Help menu. Shredder is now fully Windows Vista compatible and all known problems have been fixed. This is a free update for all customers. To get the new version simply download Shredder again via the link in your order confirmation email or use the integrated automatic online update in Shredder. You might be asked to enter your license code again when installing the update.
http://www.shredderchess.com/chess-news ... -10_1.html
Nid Hogge

Re: Shredder 10.1 now released

Post by Nid Hogge »

AGove wrote:
A new version of Deep Shredder 10 UCI, Shredder 10 UCI and Shredder Classic 2 is available. The current version number is now 10.1 and 2.1. You can check your Shredder version in the About box in the Help menu. Shredder is now fully Windows Vista compatible and all known problems have been fixed. This is a free update for all customers. To get the new version simply download Shredder again via the link in your order confirmation email or use the integrated automatic online update in Shredder. You might be asked to enter your license code again when installing the update.
http://www.shredderchess.com/chess-news ... -10_1.html

No strength improvments?
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

what astonishes me the most is, why deep shredder10 is twice as expensive than zapchess, although with the new zanzibar update it is weaker.

why should somebody pay 2x the price (99.95 EURO/US$ versus 49 EURO for zapchess) of a software
(Deep shredder 10 64 bit 2 CPU ELO 2919) that is 109 ELO weaker (than Zapchess zanzibar 64bit 2 CPU ELO 3028) ????

i hope this question is no sakrileg !
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

mclane wrote:what astonishes me the most is, why deep shredder10 is twice as expensive than zapchess, although with the new zanzibar update it is weaker.

why should somebody pay 2x the price (99.95 EURO/US$ versus 49 EURO for zapchess) of a software
(Deep shredder 10 64 bit 2 CPU ELO 2919) that is 109 ELO weaker (than Zapchess zanzibar 64bit 2 CPU ELO 3028) ????

i hope this question is no sakrileg !
The engine was released about a year ago and at the time, almost all the engines followed a similar scheme. Fritz, Hiarcs and Junior still follows the same Scheme as far as pricing goes. Price of Rybka is 78% higher for MP version, so why are you complaining only about Shredder. The update of Shredder is free for all who bought the shredder 10 version, this version deals mainly with compatibility issues, it would have been better if he had released a slightly stronger version.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

i wonder why stefan is not reducing the price of shredder, since it has now an enemy (Zapchess) beeing stronger and less expensive.
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

mclane wrote:i wonder why stefan is not reducing the price of shredder, since it has now an enemy (Zapchess) beeing stronger and less expensive.
There is some "added value" with shredder : online 6-men TB access, original interface with powerful book-tuning options, and that strange triple-brain function among others.

Is it worth the price ? I don't know : sure the answer is a question of taste ...

Marc
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Triple-brain is a toy for little boys :lol: :lol: :lol:
Better are Oracle & Joker functions.Also a very strong support of this GUI for UCI protocol.
Regards,
Sylwy
IWB

Post by IWB »

mclane wrote:i wonder why stefan is not reducing the price of shredder, since it has now an enemy (Zapchess) beeing stronger and less expensive.
Zappa is for sure not an enemy! Maybe an competitor but not an enemy.

Ingo
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

Comparing Zap!Chess with Shredder 10 classic is just like compare Ferrari with VW Golf. Yes, the engines/top speed (playstrenght) might be equal or slightly better for Zap!Chess, but everything else like own GUI, triple-brain, 6-men access, endgame oracle, ..., are features only supported by Shredder.

I think the price is ok and acceptable. :)

Best,
Daniel
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
Comparing Zap!Chess with Shredder 10 classic is just like compare Ferrari with VW Golf. Yes, the engines/top speed (playstrenght) might be equal or slightly better for Zap!Chess, but everything else like own GUI, triple-brain, 6-men access, endgame oracle, ..., are features only supported by Shredder.

I think the price is ok and acceptable. :)

Best,
Daniel
You got that analogy right, Zapchess being the Ferrari. Zapchess comes with an own GUI, how do you know that the GUI it comes with isnt its own? Did the GUI tell you NO? I dont know if Triple brain is a useful feature, I havent heard of any correspondence players recently stating that they use that feature. Zapchess also supports endgame tablebases, who needs 6 men tablebases, Zap will kick Shredders doody even before it get that far. :wink: I also think that the price is OK, because when Zapchess was first released the single CPU version wasnt close enough in strength with single CPU shredder.