printing diagrams question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

printing diagrams question

Post by Uri Blass »

I want to be able to print diagrams in order to teach chess
What is the best program for printing diagrams

I know that there is a site
www.nostalghia.de but everything there is in german and I simply understand nothing from it.

Another site that I found is
http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/diaeng.htm but there are many links there and I wonder what is the best link if I simply want to generate some page with 10 diagrams in one page and print it when I can also convert FEN in a fast way to diagram in a word document.

Uri
Michael Diosi

Re: printing diagrams question

Post by Michael Diosi »

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

WinBoard can save its Chess-board display area as bitmap file, and allows many options to customize the display. (Colors, square texture through bitmaps, piece symbols through font-based rendering of true-type Chess fonts.)

And, best of all, it works for any board format, you are not limited to 8x8.

(Currently only the smaller board sizes that produce bitmaps of less than 1MB will work. It is easy to remove that limitation, but for making diagrams it is usually all you need.)
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

hgm wrote:WinBoard can save its Chess-board display area as bitmap file, and allows many options to customize the display. (Colors, square texture through bitmaps, piece symbols through font-based rendering of true-type Chess fonts.)

And, best of all, it works for any board format, you are not limited to 8x8.

(Currently only the smaller board sizes that produce bitmaps of less than 1MB will work. It is easy to remove that limitation, but for making diagrams it is usually all you need.)
I would like to have some automatic tool to translate epd file to pdf page with diagrams like the following file(I am going to use winboard if winboard can do it)

http://www.xs4all.nl/~stimp/schaken/problems.pdf

I did not try all the sites of diagrams so maybe there is already some free tool that does it but I prefer not to spend time on searching for it and get a direct link if possible.

Uri