Stockfish 1.6 (Mac)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

schlucke

Stockfish 1.6 (Mac)

Post by schlucke »

32 and 64 Bit Intel builds (GCC) are available here: http://www.leakyheap.de/macchess/.

Mary Xmas,
Holger
mcostalba

Re: Stockfish 1.6 (Mac)

Post by mcostalba »

schlucke wrote:32 and 64 Bit Intel builds (GCC) are available here: http://www.leakyheap.de/macchess/.

Mary Xmas,
Holger
Thanks !

Merry Xmas also to you
IanO

Post by IanO »

schlucke wrote:32 and 64 Bit Intel builds (GCC) are available here: http://www.leakyheap.de/macchess/.

Mary Xmas,
Holger
Note: these have been built to run only on Mac OS X 10.6. When building on 10.6, you need to explicitly build for earlier platforms in order to use appropriate frameworks and older dynamic loader commands. Tord can probably supply details.

Also, which optimization flags were used? The default is -O3, but there are recent reports of incorrect behavior when using -O2 or -O3. You should probably try a -O1 build and check whether it is stronger.

Ian
IanO

Post by IanO »

Also, I've had success with the Apple-specific gcc -fast option when compiling crafty on the Mac. It subsumes -O3 and adds a handful of other speed optimizations.

As it stands, Stockfish 1.6 is the first Mac engine I've tested which has managed to defeat Hiarcs 12.1 in a match at fast time controls. My Mac engine ranking is now:
  1. Stockfish 1.6
  2. HIARCS 12.1
  3. Stockfish 1.5.1
  4. Rybka 2.2n2 + microwine
  5. Stockfish 1.4
  6. Glaurung 2.2
  7. Toga 1.4 beta5
  8. Fruit 2.3.1 (SP)
  9. Crafty 23.1
Ian
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Another option to consider: With Apple's gcc you can create a universal binary, which contains both i386 and x86_64 code. Simply use -arch i386 and -arch x86_64 in both CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

IanO wrote:Also, I've had success with the Apple-specific gcc -fast option when compiling crafty on the Mac. It subsumes -O3 and adds a handful of other speed optimizations.

As it stands, Stockfish 1.6 is the first Mac engine I've tested which has managed to defeat Hiarcs 12.1 in a match at fast time controls. My Mac engine ranking is now:
  1. Stockfish 1.6
  2. HIARCS 12.1
  3. Stockfish 1.5.1
  5. Stockfish 1.4
  6. Glaurung 2.2
  7. Toga 1.4 beta5
  8. Fruit 2.3.1 (SP)
  9. Crafty 23.1
Ian
I suspect RobboLito would top that list, though I understand if you're reluctant to consider it. It did compile easily on my MacBook running 10.6.2. Just had to make two or three changes (in uci.c and utils.c, if I recall correctly).

Also, you can get a free 30-day trial version of Intel's icc, which still yields faster binaries than gcc.
schlucke

Post by schlucke »

Note: these have been built to run only on Mac OS X 10.6. When building on 10.6, you need to explicitly build for earlier platforms in order to use appropriate frameworks and older dynamic loader commands. Tord can probably supply details.
As I am running on 10.6 I do only 10.6 builds. But you're right, I've to quote that more exactly (perhaps in the filename).
Also, which optimization flags were used? The default is -O3, but there are recent reports of incorrect behavior when using -O2 or -O3. You should probably try a -O1 build and check whether it is stronger.
I used the default -O3, but I didn't notice the problems. Perhaps I just missed them, or the GCC 4.2 (from Apple) didn't produce the incorrect behavior.
schlucke

Post by schlucke »

IanO wrote:Also, I've had success with the Apple-specific gcc -fast option when compiling crafty on the Mac. It subsumes -O3 and adds a handful of other speed optimizations.
Thanks. I'll try that with the nect version (1.6.1?).
schlucke

Post by schlucke »

zullil wrote:Another option to consider: With Apple's gcc you can create a universal binary, which contains both i386 and x86_64 code. Simply use -arch i386 and -arch x86_64 in both CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS.
I know, but I have no PPC to test the build. And are all the bitfiddling tricks working on a PPC? I've tried carfty on IBM POWER6, the result was horrible in terms of nodes per second ...
schlucke

Post by schlucke »

zullil wrote:

1. Stockfish 1.6
  2. HIARCS 12.1
  3. Stockfish 1.5.1
  5. Stockfish 1.4
  6. Glaurung 2.2
  7. Toga 1.4 beta5
  8. Fruit 2.3.1 (SP)
  9. Crafty 23.1
Ian
I suspect RobboLito would top that list, though I understand if you're reluctant to consider it. It did compile easily on my MacBook running 10.6.2. Just had to make two or three changes (in uci.c and utils.c, if I recall correctly).

Also, you can get a free 30-day trial version of Intel's icc, which still yields faster binaries than gcc.
I won't provide a Robbo build, for obvious reasons!

I currently have no Intel C on my box at home and the one at work has gone to another department :(

Can I reinstall the trail after 30 days? I guess not!?