Personalities in Doch and a workaround

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Don

Personalities in Doch and a workaround

Post by Don »

There is indeed a bug in loading personalities in Doch. I have a corrected version and I have asked (once again) for Jim Ablett to make a compile. He has been helping me debug it.

There is a workaround however. The issue is spaces in the file name (or the path) of the personality file. You can work around this by putting the personality in the root directory, or some place where the path to the file has no spaces in it.

Also, do not forget that the file extension is not assumed, you must explicitly use the complete file name.

It also may work to put it in the same directory the program is executed in. I'm not completely sure of the gory details of how this works but a little experimentation will help you here.
DomLeste

Re: Personalities in Doch and a workaround

Post by DomLeste »

Got the Doch working in eng-eng on my 32bit machine with the new doch132-32-cyg-ja.zip file that Jim uploaded. Now off to tweak my Tesla personality.

Thanks
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

I had my personality files in a folder using "Program Files (x86)" in the full path name and even small adjustments to a single setting resulted in big performance drops between 100 and 200 elo points compared to the default (no file used for this). Now I will put the personality file in the root while specifying the whole path and see if the performance drops disappear.

In the meantime could you answer a question for me : what is the difference between isoh and isoo ? Does the half open file mean that there is an opponents pawn on the same file (in front of it) ?
Don

Post by Don »

There is yet another bug in the loading of personalities. When this gets fixed a new version will be posted.

I added the personalties code almost as an afterthought and it was not tested in a thorough way. I see that was a terrible mistake. As a software developer I knew this was wrong :-)

The result is that if load a personality you will have a weaker program, even if you use the default.

If you don't use a personality, the program will play at full strength.

Don
Don wrote:There is indeed a bug in loading personalities in Doch. I have a corrected version and I have asked (once again) for Jim Ablett to make a compile. He has been helping me debug it.

There is a workaround however. The issue is spaces in the file name (or the path) of the personality file. You can work around this by putting the personality in the root directory, or some place where the path to the file has no spaces in it.

Also, do not forget that the file extension is not assumed, you must explicitly use the complete file name.

It also may work to put it in the same directory the program is executed in. I'm not completely sure of the gory details of how this works but a little experimentation will help you here.