Help with Arena

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Peter Marriott

Help with Arena

Post by Peter Marriott »

Hey!

After playing some engine-engine matches with Arena 2.01, when I tried to view the engine ratings with ELOStat, an error popped up that said "Error: "CreateProcess" Does anyone know what this is and how to fix the problem?

Thanks!
beachknight

Re: Help with Arena

Post by beachknight »

Peter Marriott wrote:Hey!

After playing some engine-engine matches with Arena 2.01, when I tried to view the engine ratings with ELOStat, an error popped up that said "Error: "CreateProcess" Does anyone know what this is and how to fix the problem?

Thanks!
There could be few reasons for the error message.

-- PGN file in EloStat doesnt exist or wrogly selected.
Please check the location of the pgn file.

-- You should install some compiler-dependent files onto your system.

Best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT
ilari

Post by ilari »

I think this happens because Arena cannot run or find the ELOStat application.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Peter Marriott wrote:Hey!

Thanks!
Are you using this?

http://www.playwitharena.com/download/e ... -arena.zip
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi,

an older option by Arena. Perhaps not checked with newer versions. ELOstat have problems with automatically comments by graphical user itnerfaces in PGN files. If Arena save evaluation, other information in PGN file I believe ELOstat don't work correctly.

Not sure, perhaps the testers haven't test it again, means with the last available Arena version. In the past I checked the options with newer versions of Arena.

Perhaps I am wrong. I don't used Arena now for a long time. Better for Arena is to used Bayesian, more interesting and better calculations, can handle PGN files with Fritz, Shredder comments without any problems.

Best
Frank
Christopher Conkie

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi,

an older option by Arena. Perhaps not checked with newer versions. ELOstat have problems with automatically comments by graphical user itnerfaces in PGN files. If Arena save evaluation, other information in PGN file I believe ELOstat don't work correctly.

Not sure, perhaps the testers haven't test it again, means with the last available Arena version. In the past I checked the options with newer versions of Arena.

Perhaps I am wrong. I don't used Arena now for a long time. Better for Arena is to used Bayesian, more interesting and better calculations, can handle PGN files with Fritz, Shredder comments without any problems.

Best
Frank
I don't think he is even getting that far Frank. "Error: CreateProcess" says to me ELOstat is not even starting. Maybe he can show us the full error message. Here it works. :) (with a pgn made by Arena), but i can imagine how Fritz and Shredder comments are not supported in Arena if he gets it running.

Chris
Peter Marriott

Post by Peter Marriott »

Hey Chris. That is the whole error message. A popup titled "Information" just has "Error: "CreateProcess." when I tried EloStat with a different Arena (2.0) it worked, but now it doesn't work anymore. :lol:
Now I'm really confused :P

I think I can figure it out, though...

Thanks for your help all!
Christopher Conkie

Peter Marriott wrote:Hey Chris. That is the whole error message. A popup titled "Information" just has "Error: "CreateProcess." when I tried EloStat with a different Arena (2.0) it worked, but now it doesn't work anymore. :lol:
Now I'm really confused :P

I think I can figure it out, though...

Thanks for your help all!
Figuring it out yourself does often work. PEBKAC is a virus that spreads far and wide and has no regard for hardware or furniture. Good luck with that. 7.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Christopher,

it was just an idea, not tested by myself again.

The idea to add ELOstat in Arena (options for it too) are from myself. But for a long time. Today I can't remember on all the problems we have in beta test times with it.

One of my latest messages to Martin (around 2006) was to delete the ELOstat option in Arena. I believe (not sure) on other positions, Arena made an own ELO calculation. So far I remember, Martin was working on it around 2006.

To many options around Arena, I forgot a lot.

Best
Frank