Goodbye Talkchess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: Ji there Talkchess forum!

Post by Steve B »

AdminX wrote:
This is the 1st time I have understood what you have said word for word! Your English has really improved! :D Keep up the good writing!
That still doesn't stop Rolf's premise from being totally wrong though

i have known Steve S since he opened shop back in 1984 selling dedicated chess computers
i lived within a short driving distance from his shop
met him several times in person and spoke frequently on the phone with him in the intervening years

and i was around right after the board started here
Steve S. never interfered in what was posted here and he took no "Uberlord" position about anything that went on here
he agreed to host the board in return for his banner on the top of the page..period

others around at the time of the boards formation can testify to this as well i imagine

More Understandable but wrong nevertheless regards
Steve
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Steve B wrote:
AdminX wrote:
This is the 1st time I have understood what you have said word for word! Your English has really improved! :D Keep up the good writing!
That still doesn't stop Rolf's premise from being totally wrong though

i have known Steve S since he opened shop back in 1984 selling dedicated chess computers
i lived within a short driving distance from his shop
met him several times in person and spoke frequently on the phone with him in the intervening years

and i was around right after the board started here
Steve S. never interfered in what was posted here and he took no "Uberlord" position about anything that went on here
he agreed to host the board in return for his banner on the top of the page..period

others around at the time of the boards formation can testify to this as well i imagine

More Understandable but wrong nevertheless regards
Steve
I understand your point, but I am still shocked I understood his English for the 1st time! :shock: :lol: I really use to think he might be a bot that people were responding to. I really don't mean that as a insult either.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by Robert Flesher »

Graham Banks wrote:
Sam Hull wrote: (a) Sorry for weighing in late. Our downtown Dallas office building has lost power and shut down my entire network two business days in a row, and I couldn't get back to the board after posting the guidance from Quentin for the CCC mods until now.

(b) There has been a rather large misunderstanding, and Jeremy has slightly misquoted what I passed along from ICD/Your Move. The guidance is simply to not tolerate anything that looks like a LINK to illegitimate software in CCC. No one said anything about censoring discussions or removing posts that simply make allusions or offer evaluations. Graham misunderstood the intent of the guidance - I have clarified it in detail for him this evening via IM. Where the issue of clones is concerned, and for the board in general, the goal of fair and balanced moderation has not changed, and there is no desire for favoritism in ANY direction.

(c) I hope Jeremy will reconsider his decision. I have not had a chance to converse with him directly and have received no PMs from him. I posted responses in the moderator forum as soon as I regained internet access, but I am still locked out of e-mail and will be until tomorrow morning. I think Jeremy has been an outstanding moderator and I fully support his philosophy of moderation - always have.

(d) I don't set moderation policy. I passed along a request to the CCC mods that I received from Quentin, which came as the result of certain members haranguing ICD about real, suspected, and imagined clones. Graham misunderstood the message, performed some moderation on that basis, and Jeremy decided to post a grand exit without waiting to get any clarification about the guidance.

(e) Personally I am surprised that two CCC mods who share an opinion cannot simply outvote and override one mod on those occasions when has a different view. I got regularly overridden for two whole terms in CTF. I haven't complained, and nobody died. It's a discussion board, folks.

(f) If a member runs for moderator and is elected, I think it is fair to expect him to honor his commitment and serve out the term.

-Sam-
In a nutshell, our sponsor would like the CCC mod team to be as aggressive as possible in removing anything that looks like a questionable link, or any other encouragement to acquire software of questionable legitimacy.

This was the part of the message that I misinterpreted. My understanding was that any post praising the strength or qualities of the engines in question was actually encouraging members to acquire them.
Once Jeremy gave me the go ahead to remove some of the threads as long as I left a message (he was going to bed at the time), I went ahead and did so. However, it seems that I was too liberal in my interpretation of what he actually meant.

I therefore apologise to Sam, to my fellow moderators and also to the forum membership for the controversy and unfortunate situation that has occurred due to this genuine misunderstanding.
I am happy to work with Jeremy and Swami to undo as much of the damage as we can, if they're prepared to do so. This would include an amendment of the announcement posted.

Cheers,
Graham. :oops:

What about Rybka's questionable legitimacy? What is going on at this place ? Can anyone here not see the facts for what they are? I never thought it would occur but this is starting to piss me off ! Why is it fine for Rybka to clone parts of Fruit and NOT say it was done, yet other do this and it's taboo ? Bullshit, double standards! Really folks, get a clue!

There is an old saying, "people who live in glass houses should not throw stones". Yet all I can see is holes in windows, and walls, a real shame.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Milos wrote:
Rolf wrote:I am sure that Steven Schwartz would have stopped the noise for the illegal engines, Sam and Grah are two very thoughtful and mature persons...
Oh noooo, Rolf is back. Now CCC is really doomed... :(
A real tragedy indeed....I thought that he had quit computer chess and went farming or something,but....
The annoying thing is back regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
gerold

Post by gerold »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Milos wrote:
Rolf wrote:I am sure that Steven Schwartz would have stopped the noise for the illegal engines, Sam and Grah are two very thoughtful and mature persons...
A real tragedy indeed....I thought that he had quit computer chess and went farming or something,but....
Dr.D
He has been in the Rybka forum lately. :)
Now things can get back to normal here. :).

Best,
Gerold.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Rolf wrote:Thanks Harvey this is great.
Welcome back Rolf. Was wondering why you have been awol.

Best,
Gerold.
Wayne Lowrance

Post by Wayne Lowrance »

goodbye, take hyatt with you
Wayne Lowrance

Post by Wayne Lowrance »

ooops
Last edited by Wayne Lowrance on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
solis

Post by solis »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Milos wrote:
Dr.D
Hi Dr. D,
I hope to see you in the new forum.
Best wishes and good luck to those who are staying on this dying forum
rlsuth

Post by rlsuth »

tjfroh wrote:The only reason that I can post crap.....

Never a truer word spoken in jest.