Maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Houdini

Maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available

Post by Houdini »

The maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available, see http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .

This update is primarily aimed at Fritz GUI users, and fixes two problems Houdini 1.5 experienced in the Fritz GUI:
- Long engine matches could generate time control issues
- Deep Position analysis didn't work properly

There are some other minor improvements related to Gaviota EGTB detection and usage.
Houdini 1.5a doesn't contain any changes in evaluation or search, and will produce the same analyses and game performance as Houdini 1.5.

Enjoy Houdini!

Robert
paulo

Re: Maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available

Post by paulo »

Thank you very much Robert.

Paulo
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Thanks Robert....you again beat Vasik who was just about to release the bug fix Rybka 4.1....well,it's just that some people are faster than the others....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

I've had the question whether testers can substitute Houdini 1.5 with Houdini 1.5a, or if it should be retested.

In my opinion there's no need to retest, for all practical purposes (except the Fritz GUI) Houdini 1.5a = Houdini 1.5.
Like I wrote in the announcement: "Houdini 1.5a doesn't contain any changes in evaluation or search, and will produce the same analyses and game performance as Houdini 1.5." One can easily verify this by running a single-thread analysis from the start position.

Robert
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Houdini wrote:The maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available, see http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .

This update is primarily aimed at Fritz GUI users, and fixes two problems Houdini 1.5 experienced in the Fritz GUI:

There are some other minor improvements related to Gaviota EGTB detection and usage.
Houdini 1.5a doesn't contain any changes in evaluation or search, and will produce the same analyses and game performance as Houdini 1.5.

Enjoy Houdini!

Robert

Thanks a lot... dear Robert !!

Best,
Sedat
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Houdini wrote:The maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available, see http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .

Enjoy Houdini!

Robert
Does this fix the issue where if Houdini loses on time with Winboard + Polyglot, the engine causes Polyglot to error?

It only happens when Houdini loses on time in bullet(lightning) games..

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
IWB

Post by IWB »

Houdini wrote:I've had the question whether testers can substitute Houdini 1.5 with Houdini 1.5a, or if it should be retested.

In my opinion there's no need to retest, for all practical purposes (except the Fritz GUI) Houdini 1.5a = Houdini 1.5.
Like I wrote in the announcement: "Houdini 1.5a doesn't contain any changes in evaluation or search, and will produce the same analyses and game performance as Houdini 1.5." One can easily verify this by running a single-thread analysis from the start position.

Robert
Thx Robert, that clears things perfectly!

Bye
Ingo
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Yet again you've delivered. Thank you!
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Anyone else having problems downloading 1.5a from the Houdini website?
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AdminX wrote:Anyone else having problems downloading 1.5a from the Houdini website?
+1....it comes to it's end around 99% and freezes....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….