Court case victory to Chessbase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Court case victory to Chessbase

Post by Graham Banks »

gbanksnz at gmail.com
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Re: Court case victory to Chessbase

Post by kinderchocolate »

Chessbase must be Vasik Rajlich's best friend, no wonder they can sell a Fruit's derivative illegally.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

kinderchocolate wrote:Chessbase must be Vasik Rajlich's best friend, no wonder they can sell a Fruit's derivative illegally.
What on earth does Vasik have to do with it??
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
ernest

Post by ernest »

Albert Silver wrote:What on earth does Vasik have to do with it??
Some people here go bezerk as soon as they see the name ChessBase... :P
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

ernest wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:What on earth does Vasik have to do with it??
Some people here go bezerk as soon as they see the name ChessBase... :P
In all honesty, Chessbase did chess in general a great service standing up against this nonsense. If game scores were ever genuinely copyrighted it would be the death of chess as we know it.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Albert Silver wrote:If game scores were ever genuinely copyrighted it would be the death of chess as we know it.
I think the stronger argument was the unfair competition one. If Chessbase had won on that the games still could not be copyrighted, but only not be relayed "live".
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Dirt wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:If game scores were ever genuinely copyrighted it would be the death of chess as we know it.
I think the stronger argument was the unfair competition one. If Chessbase had won on that the games still could not be copyrighted, but only not be relayed "live".
I guess I am missing something. IF Chessbase won on that?
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Nice to see this legal result. I can understand the Bulgarian Chess Federation's beef - lining up sponsors on the strength of exclusivity, but the fact is chess games are not copyrightable and hopefully it'll stay this way :wink:
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

stevenaaus wrote:.......chess games are not copyrightable and hopefully it'll stay this way :wink:
Indeed.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
bob

Post by bob »

Albert Silver wrote:
kinderchocolate wrote:Chessbase must be Vasik Rajlich's best friend, no wonder they can sell a Fruit's derivative illegally.
What on earth does Vasik have to do with it??
I'm not a chessbase fan, but this case was ridiculous. A "chess game" is "a database", where the entries in the database are "the moves." Talk about a wild stretch. Many courts have already ruled that you can _not_ copyright a chess game, because chess games are "enumerable" and one can write a program which, given enough time, can enumerate every possible game of chess that can be played. In this case, a "bravo" for ChessBase and the courts over there...