Glass 1.7 agressive = CSTal at his best and more

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Glass 1.7 agressive = CSTal at his best and more

Post by fern »

I advice very much to play this version of Glass. To date and with my growing awe, it has mauled me badly. And now I playing "seriously". It remember me CSTAl but stronger.
Great engine for sure.

Fern
PK

Re: Glass 1.7 agressive = CSTal at his best and more

Post by PK »

Fern,

As far as I am concerned, You couldn't invent a better compliment for Glass! I always wanted it to be an engine with attitude, and it's good to see that it worked.

In fact, king safety is the only properly developed element of Glass eval :D And a lot of its aggressiveness comes form the fact that it follows Rebel rather than Glaurung/Stockfish - i.e. it cares about attacks on 12 squares, not on just 9 (those next to the attacked king plus three more towards enemy position). Last time I tried to reduce it to 9 squares, I ended up yawning, and Glass ended up losing badly.

Anyhow, after reading Your post I opened a bottle of not too expensive Hungarian wine (Edmund is on a holiday in Greece, so I can only guess what he drinks)

Full Glass Regards,

Pawel
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

PK wrote:And a lot of its aggressiveness comes form the fact that it follows Rebel rather than Glaurung/Stockfish - i.e. it cares about attacks on 12 squares, not on just 9 (those next to the attacked king plus three more towards enemy position).
Stockfish does that, too. It's identical to Rebel in this respect, although Stockfish's king safety in general owes more to Phalanx than to any other program.
PK

Post by PK »

sorry for confusion, I messed up something (now I see that even Glaurung 2.2 uses a shift to initialize attack zone).
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Hello Fernando

Thanks for your kind compliments indeed. I am glad you like the rich personality features and see Glass as an interesting opponent.

Its quite funny to see what different characters one can create by just altering a few evaluation parameters.

Out of wine I wasn't either the last couple of days ... but its also nice to be back home again.

Edmund
fern

Post by fern »

I have tried harder but still I cannot beat agressive incarnation of glass. To my favor I can say I have not played my best, instead trying new things, experiments of all sort to see how the engine respond, but still i suspect that even If I play at my strongest I will be probablpy beaten. I like Glass very much and if you ask me why I cannot answer with precision. Lot of engines, in fact everyone better than 2100 or 2200 can beat me, but there are ways and ways. Perhaps all this is pretty subjetive, but well, there it goes...
My best
Fern