Any plans for Houdini 3?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MM

Any plans for Houdini 3?

Post by MM »

Hello Mr Houdart,

have you any plans about a new release, significantly stronger than 2.0c?
Many of these threads are related to komodo because its release is coming soon and its authors say that their engine is very strong at long time control and very close to your engine.

But i think that the triple or quadruple interest of people would be for a new release of yours.

Thank you

Best Regards
MM
Houdini

Re: Any plans for Houdini 3?

Post by Houdini »

Work on Houdini 3 has already started, but it's too early to say anything significant about it.

Houdini 2 is only 3 months old, so there is no particular hurry. A commercial engine that is integrated in a number of popular products (Aquarium, Chess Assistant, very soon Chess King) and is available on DVD through a large number of dealers, has some inevitable inertia that doesn't favor frequent major releases.

Robert
MM

Post by MM »

Houdini wrote:Work on Houdini 3 has already started, but it's too early to say anything significant about it.

Houdini 2 is only 3 months old, so there is no particular hurry. A commercial engine that is integrated in a number of popular products (Aquarium, Chess Assistant, very soon Chess King) and is available on DVD through a large number of dealers, has some inevitable inertia that doesn't favor frequent major releases.

Robert
Yes, i agree. Anyway each new will be welcome.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Best regards
MM
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Houdini wrote:Work on Houdini 3 has already started, but it's too early to say anything significant about it.

Robert
It would seem to me that "some" is a bit of an understatement. While this type of distribution system probably allows you to realize more profit, there are certain aspects of it that would slow the pace of new versions. The product does have to be available for awhile in order to maximize profit for all involved. Furthermore, there will be pressure to insure a new release is substantially stronger than the previous version. People get quite vocal when they pay full price for a new version and it does not live up to their expectations, Elo-wise. A nimble competitor could conceivably take advantage of the inertia to usurp sales from Houdini.

Adam
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Commercially it doesn't make sense to improve a product that already is market leader. You would just be competing with yourself...
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

hgm wrote:Commercially it doesn't make sense to improve a product that already is market leader. You would just be competing with yourself...
I disagree
I use the free houdini(houdini1.5) because
I did not see evidence that Houdini2.0 is clearly stronger and even if it is
20 or 30 elo stronger then is not enough to convince me.

If I see that houdini3 is at least 50 elo better than the other programs that I use then it is going to be a good reason to buy it.
MM

Post by MM »

Uri Blass wrote:
hgm wrote:Commercially it doesn't make sense to improve a product that already is market leader. You would just be competing with yourself...
I disagree
I use the free houdini(houdini1.5) because
I did not see evidence that Houdini2.0 is clearly stronger and even if it is
20 or 30 elo stronger then is not enough to convince me.

If I see that houdini3 is at least 50 elo better than the other programs that I use then it is going to be a good reason to buy it.
+1
MM
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Chess King is a new chess package that is going to be released in the coming days.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Robert
I see that you have branched out into various value added products.Do you still plan to support the Mobile/PDA platform.Just seems to me that being #1 at the moment is a ripe time to take advantage of this.Still wishing for a PocketFritz port :cry: