A suggestion for Larry Kaufman (this is a SERIOUS suggestion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tomgdrums

A suggestion for Larry Kaufman (this is a SERIOUS suggestion

Post by tomgdrums »

Hi Larry,

I still think you are spending too much time worrying about "testing" and how Komodo 4 fairs against Houdini. We all know Komodo is super strong!!

I didn't purchase Komodo 4 for strength. That is a given and there are plenty of strong engines. I purchased Komodo 4 because you had stated what a wonderful analysis partner it would be.

So far it is not that different. BUT, maybe I am using it wrong??

So my suggestion is that instead of worrying about ways to test Komodo to confirm its equality or superiority to Houdini in games, and instead of bashing Critter with thinly veiled inferences of derivativeness...

Write up a pamphlet describing how to best use Komodo in analysis for openings and for post game analysis of OTB games. In this pamphlet you could show how to best use a couple of engines to get good clear alternatives and maybe even show some ideas on how to best tell which engine works best in which situations.

I am serious! I would even purchase this! Put it up on the Komodo website for $10 (or even a few dollars more) as a pdf. I am not joking. With your experience as a GM and as someone who has been instrumental in developing TWO major chess engines you could really shed some light on this subject. This could help us patzers who want to improve our chess really make good use of our silicon chess partners. I really would buy something like this from you!
lkaufman

Re: A suggestion for Larry Kaufman (this is a SERIOUS sugges

Post by lkaufman »

tomgdrums wrote:Hi Larry,

I still think you are spending too much time worrying about "testing" and how Komodo 4 fairs against Houdini. We all know Komodo is super strong!!

I didn't purchase Komodo 4 for strength. That is a given and there are plenty of strong engines. I purchased Komodo 4 because you had stated what a wonderful analysis partner it would be.

So my suggestion is that instead of worrying about ways to test Komodo to confirm its equality or superiority to Houdini in games, and instead of bashing Critter with thinly veiled inferences of derivativeness...

Write up a pamphlet describing how to best use Komodo in analysis for openings and for post game analysis of OTB games. In this pamphlet you could show how to best use a couple of engines to get good clear alternatives and maybe even show some ideas on how to best tell which engine works best in which situations.

I am serious! I would even purchase this! Put it up on the Komodo website for $10 (or even a few dollars more) as a pdf. I am not joking. With your experience as a GM and as someone who has been instrumental in developing TWO major chess engines you could really shed some light on this subject. This could help us patzers who want to improve our chess really make good use of our silicon chess partners. I really would buy something like this from you!
I do all my serious opening analysis using Komodo in the Aquarium interface of Convekta, because of their IDeA feature. If Convekta wants to retain me to write up my experience with this, I'll be glad to do so. But I don't want to spend my time writing free advertising for Aquarium when they are selling it with Houdini and not with Komodo. I've already given them a nice free "promo" in my new openings book.
natasha

Post by natasha »

does it beat hiracs 13h or the best free opening books :?:
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

My new book is a real printed book, published by New in Chess, and is intended for human players. It is not an engine book.
natasha

Post by natasha »

lkaufman wrote:My new book is a real printed book, published by New in Chess, and is intended for human players. It is not an engine book.
ok

thank you and good luck with it :)
Lion

Post by Lion »

lkaufman wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:Hi Larry,

I do all my serious opening analysis using Komodo in the Aquarium interface of Convekta, because of their IDeA feature. If Convekta wants to retain me to write up my experience with this, I'll be glad to do so. But I don't want to spend my time writing free advertising for Aquarium when they are selling it with Houdini and not with Komodo. I've already given them a nice free "promo" in my new openings book.
Which opening book ?
Convekta will be selling also your printed book ?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

My book is "The Kaufman Repertoire in Black and White". New in Chess sells it, and so does Amazon. It should be out any day now. I don't think Convekta sells regular chess books.
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

Hi Larry

I guess its around 30 days from now.
Publication date: February 15, 2012
Source info New in Chess
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Mithu wrote:Hi Larry

I guess its around 30 days from now.
Publication date: February 15, 2012
Source info New in Chess
I think they gave that date to allow for delivery to the U.S.A. I think it will be available in Europe sometime this month.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

lkaufman wrote:My book is "The Kaufman Repertoire in Black and White". New in Chess sells it, and so does Amazon. It should be out any day now. I don't think Convekta sells regular chess books.
New In Chess now has the book and I believe they are selling it for immediate delivery in Europe. If you live in the US you would have to pay for airmail postage or wait a while; Amazon may not have it until March.