SSD and the use of Tablebases

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

solis

SSD and the use of Tablebases

Post by solis »

I am in the process of replacing some of my HDs with the new SSDs.
Things started few months ago when the HD on my laptop started to go bad. My friend who owns a computer shop suggested that I replace regular HD with the SSD. When he was done the booting speed of the computer dropped to about 15-20 sec. after the welcome screen including all the garbage (antivirus, antispyware,Skype.magicJack and few other things) and the restart was 10-15 sec. There was no more waiting that lasted few minutes. Once you see the speed of these hard drives everything else is so slow and reminds me of dial up connections vs. cable internet.

After installing a few chess engine the CB Fritz GUI would load in 2 second while on the other much faster computers I have to wait sometimes close to I minute for the engines to be loaded and ready to play.
Right now I am waiting for the new SSD of 960 GB that is going to be released at the end of May to install on my fastest computer i7-3930K that is overclocked to 4.7GHz.
According to my friend the access time for the SSD is 90 times faster than the regular HD and the transfer rate from SSD to the CPU is 5 times faster so according to him we have in theory increase in speed about 450 times or at least a minimum of 400 times compared to regular HD.
With this kind of speed and the absence of moving parts this gives big advantage to SSD compared to regular HD.
My question for those people who are well experienced with the use of TBs and their effect on the slowing down the calculations of the engines who are accessing TBs should the use of SSD be different and help to compensate for the slowing down effect.
ernest

Re: SSD and the use of Tablebases

Post by ernest »

They say that the number of writes on SSD is "limited".
Any idea about that risk?
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

ernest wrote:They say that the number of writes on SSD is "limited".
Any idea about that risk?
There is some truth in that, but it does not seem to be a serious problem for normal work loads. After all, mechanical drives have a limited lifetime as well.

When using an SSD to store and access tablebases, the problem of a limited number of writes does not exist, because probing a tablebase does not involve write actions.

Tablebases and SSDs go together very well. (But personally I wouldn't buy a 1.2TB SSD for storing the Nalimov 6-piece tables as I need only 68GB of SSD space to store my own 6-piece WDL tables.)
FlavusSnow

Post by FlavusSnow »

Personally, I'd buy more RAM and then mount a filesystem in memory for whatever tables I could get in there. With 16 GB of ram, you should be able to get all of the 5-man tables in there and have plenty of room for a nice sized hash table.
ernest

Post by ernest »

syzygy wrote:When using an SSD to store and access tablebases, the problem of a limited number of writes does not exist
Of course...
My question related more to the risc of relying exclusively on SSD for all PC operations.

But I guess nobody knows, as of yet... (or?...)