REAL Elo Machine playing humans

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Re: REAL Elo Machine playing humans

Post by Henk »

Henk wrote:
Don wrote:
fern wrote:BTW, even if it sound weird, I have always tried NOT TO learn the weaknesses of my dedicated units. In my logic, where fun is the thing to get, to do such a thing would be stupid as much I would lose at once the fun capabilities of the contrivance, not to mention I would make zero of my purchase.
I try always that each game be as the first I had against a machine. I try to win, but not because I know from the beginning how to do it.
The so called anti-computer chess is for me the the pinnacle of absurd.
That must be why computers love to play you! :-)

Seriously, I once had the beautiful wooden chess board ELITE fidelity machine and we were pretty evenly matched at the time. But for fun, almost as a puzzle to solve, I learned to beat it every time at several relatively fast levels by memorizing the moves I needed to play against every opening we would reach. I first learned to get it out of book quickly and then I had to learn to deal with the variety I would sometime get. Usually it played the same but in some position it would vary - so I had to learn to win from that position too. When I made mistakes I learned that I had to play something different. Over time I could beat it every time - and so I would move to the next level and start over. In a few case I could get a good start by playing what I had already learned as it would often make the same mistakes. But I never varied based on the level.

Strangely enough, I think this improved my play a great deal even though it was kind of a trick. It was a lot like doing opening preparation and in real tournament games I sometimes got to use that knowledge.

So I recommend this for opening preparation. Use your own openings and learn to deal with whatever the computer throws at you. If a human plays something unexpected ADD it to the book. After every loss you normally do that anyway, right?

Fern
When I was 15 years old I bought a chess challenger von fidelity[Deutsche sprache]. It costed me 500 guilders and I only earned 5 guilders a week. After one year I almost always won the game. In the next one or two years I only used it for five or ten minutes games. I could also set the challenger on analysis level. So I could play games that took a few days or more. But the playing of the challenger did not improve very much.
http://tluif.home.xs4all.nl/chescom/EngCCV_Du.html
I looked it up. Its Elo is 1359. So that's why it played so badly.javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
fern

Post by fern »

If that was the computer you bought with so much difficulties, not amazing you defeated it so much because it was very weak. Champion Challenger was years light ahead of it.

Fern
Henk

Post by Henk »

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/champ ... enger.html

Yes champion has 1570 ELO. It costs $999 in 1981. Maybe that was too expensive for me. I don't know.

Strange when I looked back to it it made me feel very sad.
fern

Post by fern »

I too feel that. Not rare; those years of the past coincide not only with those beautiful comps, but with my youth.
The way as I got Champion challenger being, as I was then, a guy with scarce resources, could deserves a novel.
Maybe one day..

Fern