Why purchase Deep Fritz when you can get Stockfish for Free?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

George

Why purchase Deep Fritz when you can get Stockfish for Free?

Post by George »

Why purchase Deep Fritz when you can get Stockfish which is much stronger for Free :?:
http://www.chessbase-shop.com/en/produc ... 5oh0efn840

If I can get a Porsche for free, why would I purchase a Hyundai Veloster :?:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/hyu ... c4d/629091[/quote]
Martin Thoresen

Re: Why purchase Deep Fritz when you can get Stockfish for F

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Because you also get the latest Chessbase GUI at the same time.
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

Martin Thoresen wrote:Because you also get the latest Chessbase GUI at the same time.
For sure not!
I still usually use Fritz 11 GUI despite owning Fritz 13 as well.
George

Post by George »

Dr.Ex wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:Because you also get the latest Chessbase GUI at the same time.
For sure not!
I still usually use Fritz 11 GUI despite owning Fritz 13 as well.
Is there an Arena package that comes with Stockfish in an executable file :?:
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Which includes all the new functions such as Cloud Engines, Live Book, Let's Check, 6 months of Premium subscription to Playchess, etc.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

I didn't see the engine cloud in CB's product description of Deep Fritz 14.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Chessbase is no longer trying to get the top engine as Fritz simply cannot compete against the top engines. But it still has the best GUI with the best features ... I think that is what they are concentrating on now and not many GUI's can compete with them there, especially when you include a Plachess subscription.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

M ANSARI wrote:Chessbase is no longer trying to get the top engine as Fritz simply cannot compete against the top engines. But it still has the best GUI with the best features ... I think that is what they are concentrating on now and not many GUI's can compete with them there, especially when you include a Plachess subscription.
I have to wonder why they still have not provided native support for Winboard engines after all these years.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

carldaman wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:Chessbase is no longer trying to get the top engine as Fritz simply cannot compete against the top engines. But it still has the best GUI with the best features ... I think that is what they are concentrating on now and not many GUI's can compete with them there, especially when you include a Plachess subscription.
I have to wonder why they still have not provided native support for Winboard engines after all these years.
This was always a pet peeve of mine too. CB GUI in my opinion is the gold standard so they get praises on that one as well as a very strong engine Deep Fritz
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Albert Silver wrote:
Which includes all the new functions such as Cloud Engines, Live Book, Let's Check, 6 months of Premium subscription to Playchess, etc.
I have all that already with my Fritz 13 ! 8-)
Why on EARTH should I even think of buying Deep Fritz 14 ??
My GUI is good enough ; what is the best Engine, Houdini, komodo or stockfish is the only point of debate.... I mean, DF 14 Engine won't be even CLOSE to the the present top 3 Engines !!!
So, OP is right !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis