16x16 Big Chess

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rivenburg

16x16 Big Chess

Post by rivenburg »

I believe this may or may not have been talked about. Is there any software program out there that plays 16x16 Big Chess? If so, how can I gain it and implement it, so I can learn the game?

Thanks to all
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: 16x16 Big Chess

Post by hgm »

Nebiyu Alien supports it, I think.

I included a menu item for it in the WinBoard mini-Shogi package. Just because Nibiyu was in there anyway.
Evert

Post by Evert »

rivenburg wrote:I believe this may or may not have been talked about. Is there any software program out there that plays 16x16 Big Chess? If so, how can I gain it and implement it, so I can learn the game?

Thanks to all
In theory I could make the development version of Sjaak play this. I'll look into it.
Evert

Post by Evert »

Evert wrote:
rivenburg wrote:I believe this may or may not have been talked about. Is there any software program out there that plays 16x16 Big Chess? If so, how can I gain it and implement it, so I can learn the game?

Thanks to all
In theory I could make the development version of Sjaak play this. I'll look into it.
Actually - which of the many 16x16 chess variants are you thinking of?

Looks like it'll be a bit more effort to up the maximum board size in Sjaak to 256 squares; it's hard-coded at 128 in a few places (in other places it's just derived from a template and that'd work automagically). It won't be fast or strong though...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I suppose the kind that they play at FICGS. Note every 16x16 variant is called 'Big Chess'. I am pretty sure he doesn't mean Tenjiku Shogi! :lol: (But that is his loss.)
Evert

Post by Evert »

hgm wrote:I suppose the kind that they play at FICGS. Note every 16x16 variant is called 'Big Chess'. I am pretty sure he doesn't mean Tenjiku Shogi! :lol: (But that is his loss.)
Sure, but there is no 16x16 game called "Big Chess" listed on chessvariants.org. I guess that's not really up-to-date though (in my opinion it's also in dire need of being turned into a proper wiki, but that's just my opinion). Anyway, that's a different discussion.