Black pawns are thick

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Black pawns are thick

Post by Henk »

I was busy with creating a new image for my pawn. Very annoying. But at the end when I created the black pawn by copying the white pawn it looked much thicker than the white pawn. But when I look at other pawn images for instance TCEC website, black pawn is much thicker too. Perhaps 15 kilo.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Black pawns are thick

Post by hgm »

You could always use them in variants that have 'Fat Pawns', i.e. Pawns that cannot reach the squares diagonally in front of them if the squares touching that and their current location are occupied.

[d]8/8/8/3pn3/3Pp3/8/8/8 w
The Fat Pawn at d4 cannot squeeze itself between d5 and e4 to capture Ne5!
Sergei S. Markoff

Post by Sergei S. Markoff »

Henk wrote:I was busy with creating a new image for my pawn. Very annoying. But at the end when I created the black pawn by copying the white pawn it looked much thicker than the white pawn. But when I look at other pawn images for instance TCEC website, black pawn is much thicker too. Perhaps 15 kilo.

"White starts for nothing"
The Force Be With You!
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Henk wrote:But at the end when I created the black pawn by copying the white pawn it looked much thicker than the white pawn.
That's harmless compared to the drama you'll get when you'll arrive at the queens.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Don't know if fanatic republicans play chess for they don't want to use a king or a queen. Although the idea of eliminating an opponent king might be appealing to them.

By the way are there chess variations that don't have king or queen.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Xiangqi used to be played with an 'Emperor' as royal piece. Until the real emperor got to know this, and was so insulted by the idea that these players were trying to kill the emperor, that he had two grand masters beheaded. The remaining Xiangqi players then thought it safer to rename the piece to 'General', which is still the way it is referred to today.

In Tori Shogi the royal piece is called a Phoenix (but moves just like an orthodox King).

In Knightmate the royal piece moves like a Knight, and I usually refer to it (not very imaginatively) as 'the Royal Kight'. One could also call it 'the Unicorn'.

In Chieftain Chess the Chieftain is somewhat like a royal piece, in the sense that when you lost all your Chieftains you lost the game. (All your pieces need to be 'activated' by a Chieftain, so you can do as many moves per turn as you have Chieftains. Both players start with four Chieftains.)
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

Sergei S. Markoff wrote:Image

"White starts for nothing"
Good one. ;)

The caption is a clever play on a standard line from puzzle books "White to play and [mate in three, for example]" and is not easy to translate. I would go with "White to play. In vain." as a closer approximation.