Cursed win at TCEC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Evert

Re: Cursed win at TCEC

Post by Evert »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:yeah, but there are also many 6-men that syzygy does not include, if I am not wrong, Ronald will correct me, and also many more known 7-men positions, and also, apart from that, an infinite number of tbs hits of similar positions during search, so the impact is much larger than would outwardly seem.
:roll:
Really, the impact of incorrect adjudications is larger than it seems because of TB hits during engine search? Why don't you spare a second or two thinking about what's actually being discussed, as opposed to the tangent you want to discuss?
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Arasan's "loss" of 0.5 points almost caused it to lose 22nd place in the tcec-9 Rapid. Fortunately, it had the S-B tiebreaker. Trivial yes, but consider the "adjudication bug" in tcec-9 could have caused an engine not to advance to the next round, or the wrong engine to become champion.

Code: Select all

Name                Games  :    Win  :   Draw  :   Lose  :    Pts   :    S-B     :    Pct

Arasan 19.1                 62  :    13+  :    19=  :    30-  :    22.5  :    428.75  :  36.29%
Fruit 070916                62  :    16+  :    13=  :    33-  :    22.5  :    423.00  :  36.29%
One other comment. The 2 games that required more than 50 moves to checkmate had identical pieces but with colors reversed: KQkbb and KBBkq. Depending on the placement of the pieces, the checkmate would take about 75 moves (based on Ferdinand's previous post, if I understand it correctly).
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Norm Pollock wrote:The 2 games that required more than 50 moves to checkmate had identical pieces but with colors reversed: KQkbb and KBBkq. Depending on the placement of the pieces, the checkmate would take about 75 moves (based on Ferdinand's previous post, if I understand it correctly).
In KBBvKQ it can take up to 142 ply, so 71 moves, to reach mate or a winning capture:
[D]8/1q6/8/8/2B5/8/3K4/k5B1 w
https://syzygy-tables.info/?fen=8/1q6/8 ... _w_-_-_0_1

This position also happens to be one of the longest mates (81 moves).
guyhaw
Full name: Guy McCrossan Haworth

Re: 545 moves

Post by guyhaw »

Yes - there are deeper mates.

g