No Hou!

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dirt

No Hou!

Post by Dirt »

Hou Yifan lost a game in five moves at Gibraltar. Possibly some protest against the pairings. An explanation should be forthcoming.
Deasil is the right way to go.
reflectionofpower

Re: No Hou!

Post by reflectionofpower »

Dirt wrote:Hou Yifan lost a game in five moves at Gibraltar. Possibly some protest against the pairings. An explanation should be forthcoming.
I just saw that. She just threw the game and basically if you watch the video all she keeps doing is out of the nine rds. "I got paired with 7 women." and you finished 48th out of 150?!

I think the Ju Wenjun game rattled her cage plus in Rd. 5 GM Adams kicked her fanny.

Who starts the game with the kingside formation g4 & f3. Anybody can see that she is just inviting an easy win for the other side. What a horrible display from a World Champion. I hope she loses her title next time around. She did a really petty thing and this is going to bite her in the azz down the road and I bet the ranch China is not going to be laughing about it as it makes them look bad.
Last edited by reflectionofpower on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Dirt wrote:Hou Yifan lost a game in five moves at Gibraltar. Possibly some protest against the pairings. An explanation should be forthcoming.
This will be a major scandal to be discussed soon!
I also find the probability to be paired 7! out of 10 times only
against other women players ridiculously low...
reflectionofpower

Guenther wrote:
There's no doubt in my mind that this smacks of deliberate pairings from the TD but she could have taken advantage of it and got up there with the leaders. Playing the women should have brought her a higher finish in the tournament NOT lower.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

reflectionofpower wrote:
Guenther wrote:
There's no doubt in my mind that this smacks of deliberate pairings from the TD but she could have taken advantage of it and got up there with the leaders. Playing the women should have brought her a higher finish in the tournament NOT lower.
Well of course as a reigning WWC you play such tournaments to get strong men!
If the exact setting and the program is known the pairings can be verfied easily.

(I remember a tournament I had participated in, where it became clear that the organizers had started with a wrong setting and 'silently' changed it as late as round 5 with horrible side effects...
Filing complaints did not help of course - and it was explained such things can happen - strange though that it was only for the advantage of at least 2 players of the organizers team)
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

reflectionofpower wrote:I hope she loses her title next time around.
She won't be defending it, so that is pretty much guaranteed.
reflectionofpower

Dirt wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:I hope she loses her title next time around.
She won't be defending it, so that is pretty much guaranteed.
Oh, I forgot about that. Not wanting to play in Iran.

Is it me or why can't I find Hou Yifan in the Mega Database 2017??

Plus I'll say this,"She'll never be a "Judit Polgar" among men.

Lonnie
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I think that the right step should be not to allow her to play chess in tournaments for 2 years otherwise more people are going to lose on purpose.

I know about a child who lost on purpose to a friend who had 0 points in some tournament not for rating of weak children because he does not want his friend to have 0 points in that tournament.

I told him that it is not right to do it but what I can tell him now if he tell me that even the female world champion does it?
reflectionofpower

Uri Blass wrote:I think that the right step should be not to allow her to play chess in tournaments for 2 years otherwise more people are going to lose on purpose.

I know about a child who lost on purpose to a friend who had 0 points in some tournament not for rating of weak children because he does not want his friend to have 0 points in that tournament.

I told him that it is not right to do it but what I can tell him now if he tell me that even the female world champion does it?
It is kind of wacky where she would do this being a World Champion and to make it so obvious and then come out on video pouting like a little baby. All she did was draw attention to her diva-like self and nothing about the issue of pairings. She just made herself look foolish.

Lonnie
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Uri Blass wrote:I think that the right step should be not to allow her to play chess in tournaments for 2 years otherwise more people are going to lose on purpose.
I thing that is much too harsh. Gibraltar might want to reconsider inviting her next year if she doesn't apologize, though.