Openings Random Selector ... such a tool could be fine!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Openings Random Selector ... such a tool could be fine!

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

An "Opening Random Selector or Director" or whatever is the name can be.

Example:
I have 25.000 checked start positions to A00 - E99. Now Wasp - Amoeba is the topic (or each other engine-engine constellation). User A or B or another have interest to play 2.000 or more games.

No problem:
The "Opening Random Selector" give me to each ECO code 2 positions. With white and black pieces = 2x 500, x2 = 2.000 start positions / games.

Interesting can be to replay such matches with other start positions ... I am sure the final results with a very strong A00-E99 database will be the same in ELO.

I start the "Opening Random Selector / Director / Mentor ...".

First question:
Give me the name of EPD database.

Second question:
Give me the quantity of the test set ...
500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, 5.000 should be enough.

IMPORTANT:
program select out by pure random ...
2x A00, 2x A01, 2x A02 ... 2x E99 and 1x FQ01 joking ...

The only problem is ...
To different ECO codes we haven't enough balanced lines (C38 for an example). In this case (only 1 time C38 in EPD database) the program is searching for the code with the most positions in database and select out from this ECO code the missed positions ...

B12 with 268 positions for an example

And if I have not enough to a second code ... E87 for an example, the program is looking ... OK after B12 with 268 positions the next is B30 with 226 positions and give me per random the missed positions the the main database I wish.

And with such a tool we can test engine very nice.
To all ECO codes we have material in the database and no test by different users will be the same because per "random" the tool select out the test-database.

Should be a nice idea for testing engines ... in additional ... without an opening book with a strong database with over 24.000 balanced positions I am still working on it.

Best
Frank