TCEC 10

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gurcan Uckardes

Re: TCEC 10

Post by Gurcan Uckardes »

Let me participate to the bets: Congrats to RH in advance. Houdini won.
My blog for Android users: http://chesstroid.blogspot.com
Henk

Post by Henk »

Only five points difference now, I can't cope with this stress and uncertainty. Winner will probably sell thousands of copies more based on this result.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Henk wrote:Only five points difference now, I can't cope with this stress and uncertainty. Winner will probably sell thousands of copies more based on this result.
I guess it will make very little difference in sales (though it will probably help the winner some).

I suspect a few thousand copies is their entire market, for that matter.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

(though it will probably help the winner some)
Only if Houdini wins.
As everyone knows, Komodo security is very poor compared to Houdini's.
So, practically speaking, a Komodo win will make absolutely no difference to its Sales, but a Houdini win will undoubtedly be a BIG boost for Robert Houdart's fortunes ! :)
This is the harsh REALITY, no matter what the Idealists think.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Henk

Post by Henk »

This may feel like selling/buying put options after a terrorist attack in London and see Stock prices dropping/rising.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

shrapnel wrote:
(though it will probably help the winner some)
Only if Houdini wins.
As everyone knows, Komodo security is very poor compared to Houdini's.
So, practically speaking, a Komodo win will make absolutely no difference to its Sales, but a Houdini win will undoubtedly be a BIG boost for Robert Houdart's fortunes ! :)
This is the harsh REALITY, no matter what the Idealists think.
I doubt if winning TCEC is a big boost when the result is not convincing and we do not have a clear evidence that houdini is better than komodo or stockfish at LTC based on the result.

Note that if you calculate the sum of the points that the program got in stage 1 and stage 2 then stockfish scored better than houdini so there is no evidence that suggest that houdini is stronger than stockfish based on stage 1 and stage 2.
Henk

Post by Henk »

You underestimate the stupidity of customers.

If they read somewhere that Houdini won TCEC 10 then they buy Houdini.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Henk wrote:You underestimate the stupidity of customers.

If they read somewhere that Houdini won TCEC 10 then they buy Houdini.
:lol: Very true. Exactly what Houdart is relying on !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Milos

Post by Milos »

Uri Blass wrote:I doubt if winning TCEC is a big boost when the result is not convincing and we do not have a clear evidence that houdini is better than komodo or stockfish at LTC based on the result.

Note that if you calculate the sum of the points that the program got in stage 1 and stage 2 then stockfish scored better than houdini so there is no evidence that suggest that houdini is stronger than stockfish based on stage 1 and stage 2.
Most of ppl out of this site (GMs in particular) don't care which engine is the strongest because they don't even know what CCRL or any ranking list is, they just wanna own the champion engine.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

If we talk about the three top programs:
Stokfish is free...
So I think that whoever buys one also buys the other.....
fifty-fifty
In the forum what they are fighting to say is who was the first to buy K or H. Absurd.