gcc4.8 outperforming gcc5, gcc6, gcc7

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abulmo2
Full name: Richard Delorme

Re: gcc4.8 outperforming gcc5, gcc6, gcc7

Post by abulmo2 »

AndrewGrant wrote:Final question. GCC or G++?

I tried doing a PGO build, and actually got a different bench... which really confuses me.
I try to play with your code and get the same observation. As the gcc with -Ofast flag and the icc compiler give different bench numbers from gcc -O3, I wonder if there are not rounding errors after some floating point computations and conversions to integer values.
Richard Delorme
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

I do not believe I make use of any floating point values, aside from when the Tuner is run.

I use some doubles when dealing with time on the clock, but those values are ignored when the benchmark is run
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

abulmo2 wrote:gcc -O3
That's another thing: O3 is not advised as it can well make the program slower. O2 is the usual optimisation level that doesn't backfire.
abulmo2

Post by abulmo2 »

icc emits the following warnings for example:

Code: Select all

search.c(135): warning #2259: non-pointer conversion from "double" to "int" may lose significant bits
          margin =             1.6 * (abs(values[depth - 1] - values[depth - 2]));
                 ^

search.c(136): warning #2259: non-pointer conversion from "double" to "int" may lose significant bits
          margin = MAX(margin, 2.0 * (abs(values[depth - 2] - values[depth - 3])));
                 ^

search.c(137): warning #2259: non-pointer conversion from "double" to "int" may lose significant bits
          margin = MAX(margin, 0.8 * (abs(values[depth - 3] - values[depth - 4])));
                 ^

search.c(274): warning #2259: non-pointer conversion from "double" to "int" may lose significant bits
          futilityMargin = eval + depth * 0.95 * PieceValues[PAWN][EG];
                         ^

search.c(302): warning #2259: non-pointer conversion from "double" to "int" may lose significant bits
          value = eval - depth * 0.95 * PieceValues[PAWN][EG];
Richard Delorme
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Thank you for this. I'll clean those up and see what happens.
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
abulmo2

Post by abulmo2 »

Ras wrote:That's another thing: O3 is not advised as it can well make the program slower. O2 is the usual optimisation level that doesn't backfire.
I have always seen the opposite ie faster program with -O3. It seems to be the case with Ethereal too, at least on my computer (an old sandybridge, with gcc 6.3 and 7.2 under linux fedora 26 / 27).
Richard Delorme
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

abulmo2 wrote:
Ras wrote:That's another thing: O3 is not advised as it can well make the program slower. O2 is the usual optimisation level that doesn't backfire.
I have always seen the opposite ie faster program with -O3. It seems to be the case with Ethereal too, at least on my computer (an old sandybridge, with gcc 6.3 and 7.2 under linux fedora 26 / 27).
Yes, and it would be rather strange if the gcc developers let -O3 enable known "de-optimisations".

Of course any particular optimisation can backfire for a particular program. Experimenting with different optimisation options will not hurt.
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Upon cleaning those up...

I'll get the regular bench with the final PGO build, BUT during the profile-generate stage, I'll get a different bench.

Currently installing gcc7.2 from source on this machine so I can use -fsanitize=undefined...
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

AndrewGrant wrote:I tried doing a PGO build, and actually got a different bench... which really confuses me.
Compile with -fsanitize=undefined:

search.c:386:47: runtime error: index -1 out of bounds for type 'int [9]'
search.c:386:

&&  quiets > LateMovePruningCounts[depth]
Apparently depth can be -1 in this line.
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

That would be because of the patch I pushed yesterday... to allow indexing that array when in check (which means depth could be < 0).

I'm surprised I don't get these errors when I run my program through valgrind / gdb