Openings according to Alpha Zero

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

CID

Openings according to Alpha Zero

Post by CID »

Opinions ?
MikeB

Re: Openings according to Alpha Zero

Post by MikeB »

CID wrote:Opinions ?
Let's put it this way - it appears Alpha Zero would be very good at creating an excellent opening book.
CID

Post by CID »

What I understand from Deep Mind's papers:
1. 1.c4 it's the best
2. The best answer to 1.e4 is e5 (Ruy Lopez) and for 1.d4 is 1....Nf6
Good moves are too 1.d4 and 1...d5 as answer to 1.d4.
Am I wrong ?
jdart

Post by jdart »

This is not really what GM (including correspondence GM) practice is these days.

Ruy Lopez has declined in popularity, I think because the Marshall Gambit is drawish, if you are booked up on it. And the anti-Marshall systems are not very promising for White, either. But some of this may be changeable fashion and not bedrock truth.

--Jon
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

jdart wrote:This is not really what GM (including correspondence GM) practice is these days.

Ruy Lopez has declined in popularity, I think because the Marshall Gambit is drawish, if you are booked up on it. And the anti-Marshall systems are not very promising for White, either. But some of this may be changeable fashion and not bedrock truth.

--Jon
What about the Berlin Wall? That is enough to make me switch from 1.e4 if I wanted to win.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
jdart

Post by jdart »

Yes, that is true: the Berlin is quite popular but I am not clear that is what AlphaZero would aim for. It is a relatively safe option for Black and has a good chance to be a draw but it is not as explored, and there are a bunch of complex resulting endgames that either side might have a chance to win.

--Jon
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

I watch tournaments on YouTube like the Sinquefield Cup at the St. Louis Chess Club. Yasser and company talked about the Berlin defense almost every round. They complained heavily when there were so many of them because the games were dull and lifeless and resulted in all draws. Then when there were no berlins in a round they were elated because there was a greater chance for decisive games. If ever I play in a tournament again there are a couple of prepared lines to try. They'd never fool a top grandmaster but they might fool a lesser player. One is this.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.0-0 Nxe4 5.h3

This is about equal but if black tries to secure his extra pawn by 5. ... d6 then black will have to play very well to avoid a disadvantage.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

jdart wrote:This is not really what GM (including correspondence GM) practice is these days.
That's because they don't have access to A0. Since it showed on games positions that current engines claim are 0.00 and one side is actually winning, A0 could change the Correspondence game landscape because who knows if current games that were agreed to a draw were actually winning for one of the sides.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

jdart wrote:
Ruy Lopez has declined in popularity, I think because the Marshall Gambit is drawish, if you are booked up on it.

--Jon
Perhaps A0 doesn´t agree that Marshall Gambit is drawish...
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931