You are the captain...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Which engine or human is your Board #1

Poll ended at Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:29 am

Magnus Carlson
19%
latest dev Houdini
8%
latest dev Komodo
4%
latest dev Stockfish ( includes any SF fork ,e.g. asmfish )
31%
AlphaZero
35%
Some other human
4%

Total votes: 26

MikeB

You are the captain...

Post by MikeB »

...of the World chess team as it plays chess against aliens from another planet - you have to pick the one, and only, Board 1 representing Earth and you are allowed to pick any human or available chess engine.

Also one final caveat, if Earth loses it will no longer exist as it does today - what (or who) is your pick ?
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Re: You are the captain...

Post by Ras »

I'd choose Linus Torvalds. After a brief glimpse at their systems, he'll deliver a devastating rant proving that their systems are just gaffa-taped tinker solutions that will never reach Earth. Then he'll show them that Finns can survive outer space in t-shirts.

To finish them off, he'll point out that we still have Chuck Norris back on Earth, but chose him (Linus) instead because we have mercy with the aliens.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ras wrote:I'd choose Linus Torvalds. After a brief glimpse at their systems, he'll deliver a devastating rant proving that their systems are just gaffa-taped tinker solutions that will never reach Earth. Then he'll show them that Finns can survive outer space in t-shirts.

To finish them off, he'll point out that we still have Chuck Norris back on Earth, but chose him (Linus) instead because we have mercy with the aliens.
+1 👊 nice...
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

Well, anything other than A0 is 100% death.

A0 probably doesn't offer much better odds vs a species capable of interstellar travel, but I'll take whatever chance above 0 I can get, I guess?

Probably best to try to persuade them into a coinflip though (and have David Blaine flip the coin).
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

While I think the conditions of the match that Alpha won were fair, they weren't the same as this match. With the fate of the Earth on the line, I'd go with Stockfish.
Deasil is the right way to go.
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

Lol, there are currently more votes for the extinction of humanity than against.... I'd say that about sums up all of human history, including current events quite nicely.