question about database of chess games

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

question about database of chess games

Post by Uri Blass »

I would like to know how many games you can download of players with low rating(let say with fide rating below fide rating 1300 or alternatively no fide rating but national rating that is equivalent to fide rating 1001-1300).
Ovyron

Re: question about database of chess games

Post by Ovyron »

I guess lichess is a good source:

https://database.lichess.org/

Unfortunately it's highly polluted by players with ratings>1300, so you'd need to download it all and clean it up.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Ovyron wrote:I guess lichess is a good source:

https://database.lichess.org/

Unfortunately it's highly polluted by players with ratings>1300, so you'd need to download it all and clean it up.
Thanks.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Uri Blass wrote:I would like to know how many games you can download of players with low rating(let say with fide rating below fide rating 1300 or alternatively no fide rating but national rating that is equivalent to fide rating 1001-1300).
If you want a huge pile of bad rated chess players, do not go for the Fide data. Get FICS games. You can get an enormous number of games like that.

I think such data can be enormously interesting. What kind of mistakes are most common among players of Elo 1000, of Elo 1200, of Elo 1400?
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Dann Corbit wrote:Get FICS games. You can get an enormous number of games like that.
Yeah.

Note that the rating scales are completely different from lichess, though. I was 1200 elo at FICS and 1600 elo at lichess.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.