[OT] Has anybody heard from Sarah Bird recently?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: [OT] Has anybody heard from Sarah Bird recently?

Post by Steve B »

Last time i communicated with Sarah was about 2 years ago
i think she had just given birth IIRC

it could be she just got tired of computer chess
look at Mark Boylan
he used to post here on an hourly basis and even was elected moderator
right in the middle of his term he just stopped posting and hasn't posted a word in months

there is something about the protocol online that is different and not like the R/T world
online.. you dont see the same sort of customs and niceties
many just dont bother to say goodbye..they just stop posting

whereas in R/T u cant just not show up at work without explaining where you will be

Steve
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Steve B wrote: Last time i communicated with Sarah was about 2 years ago
i think she had just given birth IIRC

it could be she just got tired of computer chess
look at Mark Boylan
he used to post here on an hourly basis and even was elected moderator
right in the middle of his term he just stopped posting and hasn't posted a word in months

there is something about the protocol online that is different and not like the R/T world
online.. you dont see the same sort of customs and niceties
many just dont bother to say goodbye..they just stop posting

whereas in R/T u cant just not show up at work without explaining where you will be

Steve
She's been active all along Steve. But hasn't been heard from in two months?

She doesn't answer her e-mails either, so Graham et al are concerned.

If I knew her, I'd phone her, but I don't know her outside computer chess forums.

Terry
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Terry McCracken wrote: If I knew her, I'd phone her, but I don't know her outside computer chess forums.

Terry
If you were able to phone and check she's okay, a lot of us would be very grateful.
Or if you can find her phone number, message it to me and I'll try.

Graham.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

I tried a couple of phone numbers that Eelco looked up, but without success. :roll:
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Graham Banks wrote:I tried a couple of phone numbers that Eelco looked up, but without success. :roll:
Is Bird her married name? Has she mentioned her husband's name, as the phone may be under his name...

Terry
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Is Bird her married name? Has she mentioned her husband's name, as the phone may be under his name...

Terry
Not sure Terry.
She has always been Sarah Bird to us at CCRL.
She is apparently one of the senior people running FICS from memory if that helps.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Hi !
I'm interested in this problem because Chessfun was-years ago- a nice place for me in computer chess with two very good rating lists.They are a lot of possibilities:
1.maybe she's retired from computer chess like Klaus Wlotzka (another drama);
2.maybe she's now married with others priorities;
3.maybe they are some health problems;
4.maybe................................................
I wonder Tony -the encyclopaedia of this site-isn't present here ! I think in Atlanta (Endsville) is weekend for two days ! Be meek !
Regards,
Sylwy
geots

Post by geots »

Graham Banks wrote:
tjfroh wrote:Graham would be happy.
Not just me Tim. Others have also expressed concern, so it would be great to know that all is okay.

Regards, Graham.

Me included. Sarah is a very nice person and one of the best testers out there. But i just want to know everything is ok with her. Its just not like her to stay away this long without contacting us. This really worries me. I just hope and pray nothing bad has happened to her or her family.
Spock

Post by Spock »

geots wrote:
Me included. Sarah is a very nice person and one of the best testers out there. But i just want to know everything is ok with her. Its just not like her to stay away this long without contacting us. This really worries me. I just hope and pray nothing bad has happened to her or her family.
Yes that is the concern - she has not answered any emails. OK if she has retired from chess, but very unusual she would not have just sent a simple reply to say that she's fine. It's very worrying. Trouble is, no-one has any contact details for her apart from an email address
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

I would like, only to express my personal feelings here, after all I know I'm not the owner of this place, but I am a little bit saddened that my post was deleted.
I acknowledge that tim's was, too. But I expressed something that had been on my chest for many months. I think I also applied a complaint at the time which was ignored. I wonder if someone actually sentr a request to delete my post, or if it was simply the biassed feelings of the moderator.
I can appreciate, however, that it may not have run smoothly with most of the thread, and one or two other things. However, I'm a bit sad.
I might have liked an email appologising that it was necesary, and there again, it probably wasn't thought necesary.