ChessUSA.com TalkChess.com
Hosted by Your Move Chess & Games

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fantacising about a testing cluster!
Post new topic    TalkChess.com Forum Index -> Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions Flat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krazyken

PostPost subject: Re: Cheap hardware    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:25 am Reply to topic Reply with quote

krazyken wrote:
You can get cheap windows 2000 boxes, PIII 1Ghz, for $80. Wink

Michael Sherwin wrote:

I don't remember any PIII boxes with 256 MB ram each. Can they hold that much?

Sure they can hold that much they usually use PC133 RAM and can usually hold 512-1024MB
Michael Sherwin wrote:

But, I guess that you are just making a point about price! Also older opreating systems (and maybe newer ones too) would not work with out a keyboard or monitor.

Not entirely true. You could set up the boxes with a KVM so you can switch one Keyboard/Monitor/Mouse between all the boxes. Probably will cost about $250 extra. If you have USB Keyboard and mouse (PS2 will work as well, but not officially), you just need to have the video plugged in at boot time, and can hot swap the cables if needed. Tweaking settings in BIOS may be needed. Also possible you can install VNC on all the machines and control them via network.
Michael Sherwin wrote:

I could buy all the pieces that I think would be required, however, I doubt that I would have a working system when it was put together. How would I find out how to make it all work and exactly what I would need to buy. A book maybe? I doubt if Dell and Gateway would work with or care about antiquated equipment that they no longer deal with.

If you are not versed in computer hardware and are not comfortable in doing things like popping it open to install RAM, your best avenue of support is the "buy the local hardware guru a pizza" trick. Although there are oodles of books for upgrading and maintaining hardware. Just look around for used computers, there are bunches of them out there, which frequently need nothing more than a RAM upgrade to get them to do what you want.

Last edited by krazyken on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Subject Author Date/Time
Fantacising about a testing cluster! Michael Sherwin Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:42 pm
      Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! LarsA Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:43 pm
      Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Steven Edwards Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:54 am
            Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Michael Sherwin Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:34 am
                  Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Steven Edwards Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:06 am
                        Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Michael Sherwin Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:10 am
                              Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Denis P. Mendoza Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:31 pm
                                    Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Michael Sherwin Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:03 pm
                        Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! abb Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:44 pm
      Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Robert Hyatt Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:54 am
            Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Michael Sherwin Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:04 am
                  Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Robert Hyatt Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:53 pm
                        Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Mathieu Pagé Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:01 pm
                              Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Robert Hyatt Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:28 pm
                                    Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Mathieu Pagé Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:28 pm
                                          Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Robert Hyatt Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:44 pm
      Cheap hardware krazyken Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:42 am
            Re: Cheap hardware Michael Sherwin Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:07 am
                  Re: Cheap hardware Steven Edwards Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:49 am
                        Re: Cheap hardware Tony Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:32 am
                  Re: Cheap hardware krazyken Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:25 am
      Re: Fantacising about a testing cluster! Marc Lacrosse Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:57 am
Post new topic    TalkChess.com Forum Index -> Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions

Jump to: