Collector's Corner..The Kasparov Deluxe

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Collector's Corner..The Kasparov Deluxe

Post by Steve B »

i am thinking that Sir Bryan Whitby inspired this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electronic-chess-in ... dZViewItem

All Wood.. All Of The Time Regards
Steve
mephisto

Re: Collector's Corner..The Kasparov Deluxe

Post by mephisto »

Nice bit of wood but a blue chess computer? come on
Anyway, full marks for imagination
Garden Shed Regards
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

mephisto wrote:Nice bit of wood but a blue chess computer? come on
Anyway, full marks for imagination
Garden Shed Regards
Bryan
Blue i can live with

but this abomination is hard to look at:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cpaa2@sbcgl ... 56803648/9

Anything By Way Of Wood You Can Suggest?

Squinting Regards
Steve
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

the box seems to be cool. i guess it is worth more than the chess computer.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

mclane wrote:the box seems to be cool. i guess it is worth more than the chess computer.

without question
the computer itself is quite common and with out the wooden box would sell for less then 25 Euro

this is true for many schachcomputer
if i do not have the original box for a computer i try to store them in a carrycase and because of this many of my computers are worth less then the carrycases i have them in

in some cases the carrycases are so expensive i actually put the chess computer on top to protect the carrycase
:D

Koffer Regards
Steve
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

The box was nice but the chess computers hurt my eyes, escpecilly the orange one.
Bill
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Steve B wrote:All Wood.. All Of The Time

Hi Steve,

Well I think this latest Kasparov "Deluxe" (I hesitate to use the term) is quite wanting in overall quality, thoughtfulness, approach to design and practicality. I also think that the materials are of inferior quality, bar the actual materials used in the computational part of the device.

Herein I attach a photo of my own computer modification, of which I am very proud. I know you own the one and only Excellence Deluxe, so my version is known as the Excellence Deluxe II.

You can clearly see the differences. Firstly, it was very economical for me to make. I bought two plastic cat trays from Pet Barn and my cat was perfectly happy with just the one. So the other one could be used as the basis for my Excellence Deluxe II. Of course, I got two trays together for less than the price of buying the two seperately.

And then there are the aesthetics. I think the green and cream board goes wonderfully with the purple plastic tray. And then the practical advantages....There is an under computer storage tray for captured pieces and of course any battery acid that happens to leak out from the bottom of the computer section. And an important extra bonus - any parts that fall off the Fidelity circuit board might fall out the gaps in the bottom and into the tray. This is much better, for instance, than hunting for a lose LED on my carpet, especially if it is a green one.

I hope my Excellence Deluxe II might serve as an inspiration to future modifications your fertile mind (or anyone else's) might consider.

Inventive Regards

Jonathan

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:

:lol: Regards :lol:
:lol: Steve :lol:
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Hi Jonathan
I must admit that that it looks quite good.
And what a good idea about the under computer storage tray for captured pieces. You could even flick your cigarette ash into it whilst playing then wash the pieces in the bowl when you want a new game.
The limits of this new design are endless.
Very well done.
Should sell well on eBay.
Marigold Gloves Regards
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Why thank you Brian. But then again I think one truly could sell just about anything they want on eBay...and there will always be someone to buy it! With that in mind, yes perhaps I should sell cat's trays as computer housings 8-)