Collectors Corner..Ultra Rare Novag Savant II

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Collectors Corner..Ultra Rare Novag Savant II

Post by Steve B »

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ON EBAY!

of course the computer must be defective but oddly the seller does not mention this "little" detail in the auction description

a series of frantic emails have already been fired off to the seller

EVEN though it is defective it will sell for a very pretty penny because collectors will want an example of this rare computer in their collections

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:us

Bidding Will Be Ruthless and Not Recommended For Those With A Pre-Existing Heart Condition Regards
Steve
Steve B

Re: Collectors Corner..Ultra Rare Novag Savant II

Post by Steve B »

Steve B wrote:FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ON EBAY!

of course the computer must be defective but oddly the seller does not mention this "little" detail in the auction description

a series of frantic emails have already been fired off to the seller

EVEN though it is defective it will sell for a very pretty penny because collectors will want an example of this rare computer in their collections

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:us

Bidding Will Be Ruthless and Not Recommended For Those With A Pre-Existing Heart Condition Regards
Steve
i have received a reply from the seller

he states and i quote:

"the computer is very good working"

i then emailed him to please send me a photo of the screen showing the Pieces and he has further replied and again i quote...

"hi i have in the time no camera"

:shock: Regards
Steve
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Hi Steve
You must practically live on Ebay. I am not one to be talking. I have spent almost $1,000 in this last week alone on Ebay.
I am still the highest bidder on the chess playing games that you pointed out to us with an astronomical bid of $10.00, but I expect that at the last minute some 'old' man from Chile will come in and outbid me. He plays it very cool and sly, you know.
Bill
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Bill Rogers wrote:Hi Steve
You must practically live on Ebay. I am not one to be talking. I have spent almost $1,000 in this last week alone on Ebay.
I am still the highest bidder on the chess playing games that you pointed out to us with an astronomical bid of $10.00, but I expect that at the last minute some 'old' man from Chile will come in and outbid me. He plays it very cool and sly, you know.
Bill
Actually Bill
i really dont spend alot of time on Ebay
i have 14 HIGHLY TUNED AND PERFECTED search routines that cover the entire gambit of dedicated chess computers
i have yet to miss an auction for anything important

rifling through these 14 searches takes me no more then 5-10 minutes per day..of course it helps that i have a high speed DSL Internet connection

AS to Fern Out bidding you at the last seconds..
you can rest easy
the opening price was already $7-$8 bucks over his limit

Idiot Savant Regards
Steve
fern

Post by fern »

Ahh....you does not let go any chance to heap over me humiliation over my already crippled situation.
Is it my fault that these contrivances are costing more than 2 buck?
Did I inflate the market?

Jonas inside the whale regards
Fernando
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Steve B wrote:EVEN though it is defective it will sell for a very pretty penny because collectors will want an example of this rare computer in their collections
And even if it does work, chances are the LCD display is well and truly passed it's prime. Those old school LCD displays degraded noticeably with time. And then of course there is the:

I hope you have spare bulb for the LCD display Regards

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:
Steve B wrote:EVEN though it is defective it will sell for a very pretty penny because collectors will want an example of this rare computer in their collections
And even if it does work, chances are the LCD display is well and truly passed it's prime. Those old school LCD displays degraded noticeably with time. And then of course there is the:

I hope you have spare bulb for the LCD display Regards

Jonathan
the chances of the touch screen and pieces still working are way less then zero

i have yet to see or hear of any of the three Savant versions still in working order today and almost every collector i know has at least one of them

sadly i am compelled to bid on this even though i already have all three versions(of course all with defective screens but two with working processors)

i would just kick myself silly if i let it go and it turned out to be in working condition..especially considering the fact that if another collector gets it and it works there will be more messages on the NET crying out this fact then Oscars posts on the Citrine

i am already prepared to win it and then when it arrives engage in a lengthy argument with the seller on how it does not work
the seller obviously has no clue about chess computers and i will wind up with yet another defective Savant

Still...

I MUST bid regards
Steve
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Steve B wrote:i have received a reply from the seller

he states and i quote:

i then emailed him to please send me a photo of the screen showing the Pieces and he has further replied and again i quote...

Yeh, right. So we have a seller with a total of 1542 feedbacks, a picture (taken by a camera) of the unit for sale, but they won't take a picture of it working :roll:

Well, in any case, I see Rantan is at it again. I guess he does not know that Steve is bidding and that Steve always wins his auctions.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:

he states and i quote:

Yeh, right. So we have a seller with a total of 1542 feedbacks, a picture (taken by a camera) of the unit for sale, but they won't take a picture of it working :roll:

Well, in any case, I see Rantan is at it again. I guess he does not know that Steve is bidding and that Steve always wins his auctions.
Rantan will be easily swept aside in the final moments of the auction
he rarely wins anything that gets even remotely expensive

no my competition will come from the "usual suspects" who are always bidding against me for rare items and always losing to me
at the end of the day..this just means i must pay more for something like this then its worth
personally if these guys had a different hobby then chess computer collecting it would suit me just fine
i would still win the same computers and have several thousand doallrs more in the bank

you would think these guys would have learned by now that i NEVER lose an auction for something i REALLY want
but still..they bid and make me pay more

a fact that i of course Mark And Remember Regards
Steve
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:

he states and i quote:

just to box the seller in a bit more and remove some wiggle room from him i have sent him the following question...

hi
thank you for your replies
since you do not have a camera to show that the pieces are still visible ...

where you able to play a chess game on the computer?
it could play a complete game?
thanks

now i realize of course he can just say...YES...
and when i receive it he can just say it got damaged in shipping
Still..perhaps he will not want to just outright lie at this point

Stay Tuned Regards
Steve