Java engines

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Zlaire

Java engines

Post by Zlaire »

I tried to compile a list of Java engines, this is what I came up with:

Code: Select all

Alf
Eden
FluxII
King's out
jChecs
JChess
Mediocre
Olithink
POS
Pyotr
Talvmenni
Olithink exists as both Java and C it seems. JChess is now Tytan (in C and rewritten from scratch).

Am I missing any?
Denis P. Mendoza

Re: Java engines

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

Well, I am into collecting Java open-source engines too to try compiling in this platform. I'm still studying the compiler interface before trying. Since I'm quite familiar witn C/C++ compilers, I hope it will not be harder than I thought with Java.

You missed one that I remember, Tiffanys chess engine at http://tiffanys.sourceforge.net/
Last Update: 21.01.2007 by Bernhard von Gunten

BTW, do you still use a java launcher after compiling or build it as a standard executable like Jim Ablett's compiles? But I'm more interested in compiling the engine with the best optimization like the PGO techniques in C/C++ engines. I don't know at the moment if GCJ has this option. Since there are only a few chess engines in Java, it's very hard to google some ideas in compiling these engines with the best flags or switches. I hope you or somebody could share some sample guides/instructions for a start. Thanks.

Denis
Zlaire

Post by Zlaire »

To be honest I let Jim Ablett do the work with compiling. I let the java launcher go since it seems to work in mysterious ways sometimes (probably not the launcher's fault though, some interfaces just does not like it).

Perhaps Jim wants to share some of his knowledge.
Alessandro Scotti

Post by Alessandro Scotti »

I think Spike can be also compiled as a Java program, but I don't know if it has ever been released in that mode.
Denis P. Mendoza

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

Zlaire wrote:To be honest I let Jim Ablett do the work with compiling. I let the java launcher go since it seems to work in mysterious ways sometimes (probably not the launcher's fault though, some interfaces just does not like it).

I see we share the same compiling guru. Jim already gave me some feedbacks about Java compiling and the rest should be on my own. His brief guides helped a lot in learning C/C++ compiling starting from zero knowledge. If you're interested, there is an ongoing development of a java chess engine at SF.net which they call DeepDuke. It maybe released soon if the author makes quick progress. You can also add PsychoChess and Capa chess which is also an open spource java engine (at SF.net).

Alessandro
I think Spike can be also compiled as a Java program, but I don't know if it has ever been released in that mode.
On its site, it says "...Spike is written in C++ and Java at the same time. It is mostly possible to write a program code that can be compiled by a C++ compiler and a Java JIT (Just in time compiler)...". Maybe those who tested the first versions released could testify if there was such. But they could compile a Spike special edition in Java in the future to compare its performance in another compiling platform.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Alessandro Scotti wrote:I think Spike can be also compiled as a Java program, but I don't know if it has ever been released in that mode.
It used to be something you could compile in both languages, but now it is C++ only.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Denis P. Mendoza wrote:
Zlaire wrote:To be honest I let Jim Ablett do the work with compiling. I let the java launcher go since it seems to work in mysterious ways sometimes (probably not the launcher's fault though, some interfaces just does not like it).

I see we share the same compiling guru. Jim already gave me some feedbacks about Java compiling and the rest should be on my own. His brief guides helped a lot in learning C/C++ compiling starting from zero knowledge. If you're interested, there is an ongoing development of a java chess engine at SF.net which they call DeepDuke. It maybe released soon if the author makes quick progress. You can also add PsychoChess and Capa chess which is also an open spource java engine (at SF.net).

Alessandro
On its site, it says "...Spike is written in C++ and Java at the same time. It is mostly possible to write a program code that can be compiled by a C++ compiler and a Java JIT (Just in time compiler)...". Maybe those who tested the first versions released could testify if there was such. But they could compile a Spike special edition in Java in the future to compare its performance in another compiling platform.
If you get the converter from the guys who make SimpleSQL, it comes with a Java to C++ converter:
http://www.programics.com/?page=java2cpp

It only works on a subset of the language (or that is how it works that last time I checked). At any rate, that might be an interesting avenue to investigate for some chess engines.
Epor

Post by Epor »

Tohno (http://tohno.steneskog.se/)

There are plenty of them, just google and you will find.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Alessandro Scotti wrote:I think Spike can be also compiled as a Java program, but I don't know if it has ever been released in that mode.
It used to be something you could compile in both languages, but now it is C++ only.
Correct!
kiwiPete

Post by kiwiPete »

Grok by Peter Kappler.