Crafty no improvement in strength?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

nuff

Crafty no improvement in strength?

Post by nuff »

The likes of Fritz, Rybka etc can claim improvement in strength as the later versions are released. How come crafty does not enjoy the same improvement in strength as the commercial versions? Even something like the free spike has seen a dramatic improvement in strength from 0.9 to 1.2.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Crafty no improvement in strength?

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

I am afraid you are right,I have the same impression lately :?
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

It really sickens me when users of programs, who probably haven't programmed a chess game themselves, criticise the efforts of others.

When they criticise someone who has won the world championship and done more for computer chess than anyone else it just becomes ridiculous

Crafty is a great program
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

I don't think John meant any harm. It seems he was just curious as to why Crafty hasn't seen any increase in strength for a while.

Most people should know that Bob and Crafty has meant a great deal to the computer chess society.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

cooldalek wrote:It really sickens me when users of programs, who probably haven't programmed a chess game themselves, criticise the efforts of others.

When they criticise someone who has won the world championship and done more for computer chess than anyone else it just becomes ridiculous

We have the right to express our opinion and that doesn't mean that we don't respect the efforts of the programmer.....
Try to not to be so sharp in your wording pal....just try 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

Dr Deeb

Like you say I'm entitled to my opinion
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

cooldalek wrote:Dr Deeb

Like you say I'm entitled to my opinion
Yes,but indeed until you plug Crafty to a 8 core system,you won't feel the increase in the performance of Crafty....
The other problem is that on my dual core system I can't use it as a MP engine because even with ponder off it uses always one processor on the opponent's time....
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

'tis strong enough to analyse my games on a 32 bit single cpu. good enough for me
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

cooldalek wrote:'tis strong enough to analyse my games on a 32 bit single cpu. good enough for me
People tend to forget that Crafty is tuned to play humans on ICC, not other chess engines.

Terry
swami

Post by swami »

It really sickens me when users of programs, who probably haven't programmed a chess game themselves, criticise the efforts of others.
This is the kind of stuff that some programmers dish out when they don't have anything else to say,I've seen some of the programmers state that to different people a lot of time,especially when someone enquire about the engine's progress with comments exactly like how the original poster does.

It should not be taken seriously and I'd suggest that you go to amazon site for book reviews and take Da vinci code for example and read only the reviews of critics,There are critcs,there are always critics and critics are needed to judge the quality of the book and even someone who voted 4 out of 5 adds some critical points,and asking the critic if he has written a book is silly :),the same principle applies here.Asking a mechanical engineer if he has written a chess program looks silly and quite irritating to me :P
I agree with you,it's great because it's strong open source program,after Fruit and Toga,Glaurung and few others.