Collectors Corner..Ultra Rare Novag Savant II

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

klute

Re: Collectors Corner..Ultra Rare Novag Savant II

Post by klute »

Hi Steve

While I wait for Advanced Star Chess to decide its 9th move as White against Primo in a Reversed Benoni, I'd say that the Savant II might not go for very much. Perhaps there might be collectors prepared to pay over the odds for a non-working unit, but I imagine there may be others like myself who have a policy of acquiring only working units for their collection. I found the pain of having a non-working Savant Royale too much to bear as you know, so sent it and a Savant I to a good home. I used to spend a fair bit of time with the innards of Savants and I'd be flabbergasted if the eBay one wasn't as dead as a dodo. I still remember the day my Royale died! :(

Advanced Star Chess plays 9. Na3 Regards

Cameron
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote:Hi Steve

While I wait for Advanced Star Chess to decide its 9th move as White against Primo in a Reversed Benoni, I'd say that the Savant II might not go for very much. Perhaps there might be collectors prepared to pay over the odds for a non-working unit, but I imagine there may be others like myself who have a policy of acquiring only working units for their collection. I found the pain of having a non-working Savant Royale too much to bear as you know, so sent it and a Savant I to a good home. I used to spend a fair bit of time with the innards of Savants and I'd be flabbergasted if the eBay one wasn't as dead as a dodo. I still remember the day my Royale died! :(

Advanced Star Chess plays 9. Na3 Regards

Cameron

of course what you say is true Cameron
there can be no doubt

but the PAIN i would feel IF this turned out to be working and i did not bid on it....would greatly exceed the embarrassment i will feel when it arrives in almost certain, defective and non working condition

Ergo..Bid i will ..Bid i must..Regards
Steve
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Steve B wrote:but the PAIN i would feel IF this turned out to be working and i did not bid on it....would greatly exceed the embarrassment i will feel when it arrives in almost certain, defective and non working condition
Well, even in the worst case scenario, you will able to take as many pictures of it as you want, without having to ask someone else to do it for you.

Kodak Regards

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:
Steve B wrote:but the PAIN i would feel IF this turned out to be working and i did not bid on it....would greatly exceed the embarrassment i will feel when it arrives in almost certain, defective and non working condition
Well, even in the worst case scenario, you will able to take as many pictures of it as you want, without having to ask someone else to do it for you.

Kodak Regards

Jonathan
Strangely Jon ..the Seller has not replied to my final ..probing question which i repeat here for your reading pleasure..

hi
thank you for your replies
since you do not have a camera to show that the pieces are still visible ...

where you able to play a chess game on the computer?
it could play a complete game?
thanks

in my previous two emails..the seller replied to both within hours of me sending them....
now ..a strange ..almost eerie silence..

Hmmmm Regards
Steve
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Maybe you can check the seller's honesty by asking them a "loaded" question. For example, ask them something about the unit and give them an incorrect answer to that question at the same time. For example, I can't recall what beeps the thing makes when the new game button is pressed, but let's assume in truth it makes three beeps when you press the "new game" button. So you ask the seller "Can you please verify that when it is powered up and you press the new game button, you get one long beep only". You get the drift. If they say "yes", well you have most of your answer. Of course, you need to know the real answer to the question when you ask it, and from the sounds of it you don't have a live unit.

Detective Regards

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:Maybe you can check the seller's honesty by asking them a "loaded" question. For example, ask them something about the unit and give them an incorrect answer to that question at the same time. For example, I can't recall what beeps the thing makes when the new game button is pressed, but let's assume in truth it makes three beeps when you press the "new game" button. So you ask the seller "Can you please verify that when it is powered up and you press the new game button, you get one long beep only". You get the drift. If they say "yes", well you have most of your answer. Of course, you need to know the real answer to the question when you ask it, and from the sounds of it you don't have a live unit.

Detective Regards

Jonathan
Excellent Suggestion Jon
now the computer can turn on AND EVEN LIGHT UP but its the touch screen display we are trying to nail down here
the seller will be very wary of any further questions from me so can i ask you to ask the seller this question and report his reply(if any) back here?

"when you first turn on the computer and begin a new game can you please verify that when you touch any pawn that the pawn flashes 3 times before it moves?if it flashes less then 3 times there could be a potential problem with the computer recognizing its move"

any piece when touched flashed only once when you touched it and placed it on its square
when the computer moved it flashed the to/from square ..TWICE

Schachcomputer Police Closing the Trap Regards
Steve
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Hi Steve,

Done as requested. I'll let you know if and when I get an answer. I just added an extra bit at the end of the question in which I asked him how many times does the pawn actually flash. So he can answer 3, 2, 1 or 0. If he answers that he does not know what a pawn is, I'll ask him to press the little symbol 4 across from the left and 1 up from the bottom!

Deputy Regards

Jonathan
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Or I should say the 1 up from the bottom row or the second row lol :x

Having trouble with numbers today Regards

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:Hi Steve,

Done as requested. I'll let you know if and when I get an answer. I just added an extra bit at the end of the question in which I asked him how many times does the pawn actually flash. So he can answer 3, 2, 1 or 0. If he answers that he does not know what a pawn is, I'll ask him to press the little symbol 4 across from the left and 1 up from the bottom!

Deputy Regards

Jonathan
thanks Jon
i am thinking...
IF the Seller answers incorrectly..please post his reply here for all to see
however..
IF on the off chance that the seller does answer correctly..then this means the display is actually working!!and the bidding will reach an orgasmic frenzied pitch the likes of which have never been seen before on Ebay!
in that case..PLEASE post his reply to me PRIVATLEY

:P Regards
Steve
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Well of course if I don't quote the reply here, then people are going to assume that it would be working properly! Furthermore, there is an added complication that should the seller answer correctly (in other words, he incorrectly thinks it is faulty due to the information we have given him), then I will have no choice but to email him back and tell him that I was "mistaken" about the number of flashes and that it indeed could well be working as he states. It would be exceptionally unethical of me not advise him of my "error", since we cannot have a situation whereby the seller is led to believe the unit is faulty if indeed the evidence points to the contrary.

Let this be a fair battle for all Regards

Jonathan