What is New in Toga II 1.3x4?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

This thread has been moderated.

Post by Graham Banks »

I have "cleaned up" this thread to remove the flaming and hopefully retain most of the substance.

I'd ask everybody to discuss the issues constructively, without losing their tempers and posting insults.

Regards, Graham (moderation)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: This thread has been moderated.

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Thanks Graham for your efforts....
I was about to ask:
Is the new Toga realy stronger than the commercial Hiarcs 11.1 and stronger than the commercial LoopMP 12.32?
Please provide every known link or information which can be found,Thorsten already provided some links which by the way make me ask this question....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Thanks Graham for your efforts....
I was about to ask:
Is the new Toga realy stronger than the commercial Hiarcs 11.1 and stronger than the commercial LoopMP 12.32?
Please provide every known link or information which can be found,Thorsten already provided some links which by the way make me ask this question....
Hi Wael,

CCRL testers are waiting for the egbb access bug to be addressed before testing Toga II 1.3x4 at 40/40.
However Shaun, who is a beta tester for Thomas, has tested Toga II 1.3x4 extensively at 40/4.
Shaun would be the best to ask as he'd know more than I do.

Regards, Graham.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Thanks for the reply Graham,
Let's hope that Shaun will spot some light on this issue as it seems that things are missed up regarding the new Toga's performance.....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Just to add that when Toga 1.2.1a appeared,it was a clear improvement and there was no doubt about that.....
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

i have also no doubt. 40/4 is no serious test-level.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

mclane wrote:i have also no doubt. 40/4 is no serious test-level.
It's in the blitz time control category,I am interested in longer time controls also....
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

My experience with Toga II 1.3x4

Post by Stephen Ham »

Dear gents,

I tend to play games at very long time controls. For example, 180/40 is my norm. I began by giving Toga II 1.3x4 the same book as 1.2.1a. While it sometimes matches 1.2.1a's results in tournaments (including two Rybkas, Spike 1.2 Turin, Shredder 9, Fruit 2.2.1, and Naum 2.0), it usually fell short of the ealier version.

So I've recently given 1.3x4 a different bok, only to see it steadily fall lower on the tournament roster.

Last night, for a change of pace, I played a very fast tournament (relative to what I normally play) - game 15+1" for each engine. The tourney just finished and Toga II 1.3x4 finished last with 2/7, while 1.2.1a was third with 4/7 (behind the two Rybkas which tied for first, and Fruit 2.2.1).

I'm just starting to analyze the moves now, but it seems to be that Toga II 1.3x4's problems are not just with egtbs. Instead, its move selection seems weaker than 1.2.1a.

Since I play games at very long time controls, my problem is that I generate a small selection of games to evaluate. Thus, while I don't have quantity, I have quality games. But it seems that regardless of book or time-control, Toga 1.3x4 has yet to surpass 1.2.1a in tournaments. However, I've yet to play them against each other in a match with the same book. There'd be value in doing that if it weren't for the fact that 1.3x4 is scheduled to be "fixed". So, I'll spend my quality time only with the "fixed" version.

All the best,
Steve
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: My experience with Toga II 1.3x4

Post by mclane »

strange.
i have the opposite effect.
i give them both the performance.bin.

in any tournament i have put them so far, the new version is above the old version.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: My experience with Toga II 1.3x4

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Stephen Ham wrote:Dear gents,

I tend to play games at very long time controls. For example, 180/40 is my norm. I began by giving Toga II 1.3x4 the same book as 1.2.1a. While it sometimes matches 1.2.1a's results in tournaments (including two Rybkas, Spike 1.2 Turin, Shredder 9, Fruit 2.2.1, and Naum 2.0), it usually fell short of the ealier version.

So I've recently given 1.3x4 a different bok, only to see it steadily fall lower on the tournament roster.

Last night, for a change of pace, I played a very fast tournament (relative to what I normally play) - game 15+1" for each engine. The tourney just finished and Toga II 1.3x4 finished last with 2/7, while 1.2.1a was third with 4/7 (behind the two Rybkas which tied for first, and Fruit 2.2.1).

I'm just starting to analyze the moves now, but it seems to be that Toga II 1.3x4's problems are not just with egtbs. Instead, its move selection seems weaker than 1.2.1a.

Since I play games at very long time controls, my problem is that I generate a small selection of games to evaluate. Thus, while I don't have quantity, I have quality games. But it seems that regardless of book or time-control, Toga 1.3x4 has yet to surpass 1.2.1a in tournaments. However, I've yet to play them against each other in a match with the same book. There'd be value in doing that if it weren't for the fact that 1.3x4 is scheduled to be "fixed". So, I'll spend my quality time only with the "fixed" version.

All the best,
Steve
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the answer,I have the same impression and results so far 8-)