Collectors Corner..Ultra Rare Novag Savant II

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: Collectors Corner..Ultra Rare Novag Savant II

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:Well of course if I don't quote the reply here, then people are going to assume that it would be working properly! Furthermore, there is an added complication that should the seller answer correctly (in other words, he incorrectly thinks it is faulty due to the information we have given him), then I will have no choice but to email him back and tell him that I was "mistaken" about the number of flashes and that it indeed could well be working as he states. It would be exceptionally unethical of me not advise him of my "error", since we cannot have a situation whereby the seller is led to believe the unit is faulty if indeed the evidence points to the contrary.

Let this be a fair battle for all Regards

Jonathan
if you do not post a reply it cannot be assumed he replied correctly
you could not have received a reply as well

as far as a fair battle..

at the end of the day...if the computer is working correctly the only possible outcome is that i will win the auction
no other possibility exists
so all that does is cost me more money

but i suppose since i started this thread in the first place rather then keeping the auction and all of the subsequent seller replies secret i guess its to late now to switch to "Stealth Mode"

Sigh Regards
Steve
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Steve B wrote:but i suppose since i started this thread in the first place rather then keeping the auction and all of the subsequent seller replies secret I guess its to late now to switch to "Stealth Mode"
Yes, exactly. In any case, we don't really know what multitude of other questions the seller is being bombarded with. I've just gotten up this morning and no reply thus far.

Monitoring Regards

Jonathan
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

It occured to me as well that perhaps the seller may not be 100% fluent in written English. I'm going by his original replies to Steve, which don't appear to have the fluency one would expect from someone having no difficulty with the language barrier. It is indeed possible that he simply does not understand the questions we have asked, especially as they are getting more and more complicated each time! I've dealt with a number of eBay parties over the years who, even as alleged native English speakers, are somewhat "challenged" in that particular regard :?

Jonathan
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Hi Steve,

Well I have not heard back from the seller, and I think he would have replied by now if he was going to (Easter break notwithstanding). I can only conclude that he either does not understand the question (the most likely scenario), does not have the competancy to test the unit, or discovered the fault (that wasn't) and as a result prefers not to reply to me.

With that said, it might possibly be worthwhile having the questions posed in German, should any German speaking members here be willing to help you.

I only did a year of German at school 27 years ago Regards :?

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:Hi Steve,

Well I have not heard back from the seller, and I think he would have replied by now if he was going to (Easter break notwithstanding). I can only conclude that he either does not understand the question (the most likely scenario), does not have the competancy to test the unit, or discovered the fault (that wasn't) and as a result prefers not to reply to me.

With that said, it might possibly be worthwhile having the questions posed in German, should any German speaking members here be willing to help you.

I only did a year of German at school 27 years ago Regards :?

Jonathan
thats OK Jon

chances are the seller understands the question all right,,but he knows we are onto him

as i already have a Savant II in its original box with manual (defective of course) i really dont relish the idea of shelling out mega bucks for yet another defective one

i have been around Ebay long enough to know that silence from a seller is NEVER a good sign

he understood my question about taking the photos well enough and by now he must have had access to a camera

i am certain that IF that computer was indeed working ,i would have not only already received several hundred photos of the pieces but the auction would now be proudly displaying them as well

Im Out Regards
Steve
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

well well well
waddya know

the auction has been removed...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:us

i am not surprised though..
this auction was bad news from the getgo

Good Riddons Regards
Steve
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Steve B wrote:well well well
waddya know

he also removed at least one other auction, he had running (a Saitek Stratos), so i would assume, he has private reasons, that would prevent him from completing his auctions?

And he has no other auctions running...

not guilty until proven regards,
Robert
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Robert Weck wrote:
Steve B wrote:well well well
waddya know

he also removed at least one other auction, he had running (a Saitek Stratos), so i would assume, he has private reasons, that would prevent him from completing his auctions?

And he has no other auctions running...

not guilty until proven regards,
Robert
yes i suppose he had good reason to remove the Savant II auction
for one reason..he wrote me two emails on how the Savant II was working perfectly ..display included
i guess he finally got around to testing the computer for the first time after answering mine (and i am sure many other emails) and after making the auction in the first place and saw of course that it was not working
perhaps the Stratos was also defective

all he did was waste everyone's time regards

Steve
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Steve B wrote: perhaps the Stratos was also defective
of course possible!

But i normally think positive about most people (or am i too naive?)
all he did was waste everyone's time regards
that's for sure!

you're up so early? regards,
Robert
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Robert Weck wrote:
But i normally think positive about most people (or am i too naive?)
well i suppose its better then thinking bad things about people

personally i do not think he closed early to go around Ebay
i just think he FINALLY decided to check the computer and saw for himself that it was not working and pulled the auction

so the only damage done was wasting time for everyone involved including himself
Robert Weck wrote:
you're up so early?
the posts here about dedicated computers have increased dramatically ever since the beginning of the year and as a result there are many questions that need tending too.. so i must patrol the board 24/7 365(366 On Leap Years)

My Time Is Money Regards
Steve