Hiarcs FREE Legacy Site & A Prize on offer!!!

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson

Hiarcs FREE Legacy Site & A Prize on offer!!!

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: Hiarcs FREE Legacy Site & A Prize on offer!!!

Post by Michael Sherwin »

I really really hope that this turns out to be legit and not just a way to get more sales. I remember someone else promising source code "if anyone was interested in it" and no source code ever materialized (that I am aware of) and it apparently was just a ploy to get people to go to his web site. As there are no free versions at the Hiarcs site and no source code and no contest, your announcement is premature at best. I suggest that nobody goes to the site untill you can announce that it's up to date with what you claim and the items that you claim will be there, are there!

I had nothing but good feelings towards the Hiarcs team before I went to the web site and found nothing.

This kind of stuff make me mad! :x

My apologies in advance if I missed something. :oops:
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Harvey Williamson

Michael Sherwin wrote:I really really hope that this turns out to be legit and not just a way to get more sales. I remember someone else promising source code "if anyone was interested in it" and no source code ever materialized (that I am aware of) and it apparently was just a ploy to get people to go to his web site. As there are no free versions at the Hiarcs site and no source code and no contest, your announcement is premature at best. I suggest that nobody goes to the site untill you can announce that it's up to date with what you claim and the items that you claim will be there, are there!

I had nothing but good feelings towards the Hiarcs team before I went to the web site and found nothing.

This kind of stuff make me mad! :x

My apologies in advance if I missed something. :oops:

I will point out that the post that started this thread http://216.25.93.108/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 33&t=13312

was not made by anybody from the Hiarcs team - just someone who noticed we had started this section on the website.

I then replied to that stating what our intentions were. What is wrong with that?
Michael Sherwin

Just premature, that's all. You must realize that there are those that do this kind of thing just to get people to go to their web site and that what is promised never materializes. Why even leave yourself open to such suspicion? Why dangle a carrot in front of us that we can not reach out and grab? I'll bet that the Hiarcs web site got a boost in the number of visitors, because, of your post. Was it fair to raise peoples exspectations just to leave them dissapointed and empty handed? Is it unreasonable to come away with the feeling that, of being snookered into going to a commercial site that we would have not gone to otherwise?

Am I over reacting--maybe--but, I am just trying to make the point that at best your announcement was premature!
Harvey Williamson

Michael Sherwin wrote:Just premature, that's all. You must realize that there are those that do this kind of thing just to get people to go to their web site and that what is promised never materializes. Why even leave yourself open to such suspicion? Why dangle a carrot in front of us that we can not reach out and grab? I'll bet that the Hiarcs web site got a boost in the number of visitors, because, of your post. Was it fair to raise peoples exspectations just to leave them dissapointed and empty handed? Is it unreasonable to come away with the feeling that, of being snookered into going to a commercial site that we would have not gone to otherwise?

Am I over reacting--maybe--but, I am just trying to make the point that at best your announcement was premature!
I really do not understand your point - as the thread was started by somebody with no connection with Hiarcs who noticed we had started to construct these pages.

Hiarcs has been around for more than 20 years. Have we ever promised something and not delivered?

If you dont want to read the Hiarcs site then don't.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Michael Sherwin wrote:Just premature, that's all. You must realize that there are those that do this kind of thing just to get people to go to their web site and that what is promised never materializes. Why even leave yourself open to such suspicion? Why dangle a carrot in front of us that we can not reach out and grab? I'll bet that the Hiarcs web site got a boost in the number of visitors, because, of your post. Was it fair to raise peoples exspectations just to leave them dissapointed and empty handed? Is it unreasonable to come away with the feeling that, of being snookered into going to a commercial site that we would have not gone to otherwise?

hi Michael

i just now noticed this thread

i made the initial post about the new site as i thought it would be of interest to members here to follow it as it grows and takes on shape

i am not related to Hiarcs in any way and indeed i dont even own the program(or any PC engine except for CM5500)
actually the part of the site of interest to me was the early games against dedicated computers

Best Regards
Steve
Michael Sherwin

Steve B wrote:

hi Michael

i just now noticed this thread

i made the initial post about the new site as i thought it would be of interest to members here to follow it as it grows and takes on shape

i am not related to Hiarcs in any way and indeed i dont even own the program(or any PC engine except for CM5500)
actually the part of the site of interest to me was the early games against dedicated computers

Best Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the clarification! :D

I too am looking forward to the completed site, but, now that "the cat is out of the bag" the Hiarcs team needs to hurry up or they are going to loose credibility.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael Sherwin

Harvey Williamson wrote:

I really do not understand your point - as the thread was started by somebody with no connection with Hiarcs who noticed we had started to construct these pages.

Hiarcs has been around for more than 20 years. Have we ever promised something and not delivered?

Hi Harvey,

You are taking this the wrong way! I am very interested in Hiarcs and the Hiarcs website and if I was flush with cash I would even go there and purchase the latest and greatest Hiarcs (I am sincere about that) and a few other chess engines as well.

I have read quite a few of your post and have had the feeling that you are one of the 'good guys', however, as I responded to Steve above, now that "the cat is out of the bag" the Hiarcs team needs to hurry up. I have only been comming to this site for about a year, so I know nothing about the twenty year history of the Hiarcs team and their delivering upon every promise made.

Whenever there is a "carrot dangled in front of me" that is not really there I get angry and I reacted to it. And when that nonexistant carrot leads me to a commercial site my anger is a notch or two higher. I can not believe that I am the only person that has a negative impression of this kind of 'tactic', whether it was intentional or not. So, please just take my reaction as some constructive criticism.

Best,
Mike
Harvey Williamson

Michael Sherwin wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Hi Harvey,

You are taking this the wrong way! I am very interested in Hiarcs and the Hiarcs website and if I was flush with cash I would even go there and purchase the latest and greatest Hiarcs (I am sincere about that) and a few other chess engines as well.

I have read quite a few of your post and have had the feeling that you are one of the 'good guys', however, as I responded to Steve above, now that "the cat is out of the bag" the Hiarcs team needs to hurry up. I have only been comming to this site for about a year, so I know nothing about the twenty year history of the Hiarcs team and their delivering upon every promise made.

Whenever there is a "carrot dangled in front of me" that is not really there I get angry and I reacted to it. And when that nonexistant carrot leads me to a commercial site my anger is a notch or two higher. I can not believe that I am the only person that has a negative impression of this kind of 'tactic', whether it was intentional or not. So, please just take my reaction as some constructive criticism.

Best,
Mike
Why do we need to hurry up?

If I posted here that next Monday vas will release the Rybka source code - would that then be Vas's fault if he does not?

There have been promised commercial projects that are late - do you get as upset at those?

We are offering something that is free - but is taking a huge number of manhours to make possible.

I really begin to think that we should just keep totally silent like the Fritz team do and not communicate at all with customers because always someone will take a genuine gesture the wrong way.
Michael Sherwin

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Hi Harvey,

Best,
Mike
Why do we need to hurry up?

If I posted here that next Monday vas will release the Rybka source code - would that then be Vas's fault if he does not?

There have been promised commercial projects that are late - do you get as upset at those?

We are offering something that is free - but is taking a huge number of manhours to make possible.

I really begin to think that we should just keep totally silent like the Fritz team do and not communicate at all with customers because always someone will take a genuine gesture the wrong way.
Keeping silent is a good way to go untill you can deliver OR you could have said; but, do not go to our web site expecting to find this stuff as none of it is there yet and everything would have been dandy! :)