Lowest spec PC to run engine matches

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

nuff

Re: Get a dual core or X2 at minimum

Post by nuff »

Try and get a decent yet inexpensive machine that can run for a few years such as a dual core or x2 from AMD. You would be surprised to learn that even 2007 Linux versions e.g. RHEL 5 needs a decent machine nowadays.
Spock

Re: Get a dual core or X2 at minimum

Post by Spock »

nuff wrote:Try and get a decent yet inexpensive machine that can run for a few years such as a dual core or x2 from AMD. You would be surprised to learn that even 2007 Linux versions e.g. RHEL 5 needs a decent machine nowadays.
Well there are dozens of Linux distros and many are lightweight and will be fine on old hardware. But I agree, buy a decent machine that will last for years.
rdan1987

Re: Lowest spec PC to run engine matches

Post by rdan1987 »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
cooldalek wrote:Do "core 2 Duo" and "Dual core " both mean the pc is multi-processor?
Yes,as the "Core 2 Duo" is the next generation which is much faster than the "Core Duo",by Intel of course :D
Core 2 Duo is not "much faster" than Core Duo....only a little faster(about 10-15% )....if you don't believe me go to http://www.jens.tauchclub-krems.at/dive ... marks.html
and compare Core 2 T7200(2000 Mhz) with Core Duo T 2500(2000 Mhz)

Why do you make statements without proofs?....This is the 3rd or 4th time when I hear this on this forum!!!!!
:evil: :evil:
gerold

Post by gerold »

cooldalek wrote:Hi

I'm thinking of buying a dirt cheap 2nd hand pc off ebay just to run my engine matches, maybe a desktop, maybe a laptop.

Certainly single CPU

What's the lowest spec I can get away with?
May i advise you not to waste your money on a piece of
crap from ebay. By the time you paid for shipping and more
than likely repair of some kind and one that will break down
soon. Invest in a good new hp with the latest chip that runs
cool and cost much less to run. You can get a good one
for less than 900 bucks .

Good luck,

Gerold.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

rdan1987 wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
cooldalek wrote:Do "core 2 Duo" and "Dual core " both mean the pc is multi-processor?
Yes,as the "Core 2 Duo" is the next generation which is much faster than the "Core Duo",by Intel of course :D
Core 2 Duo is not "much faster" than Core Duo....only a little faster(about 10-15% )....if you don't believe me go to http://www.jens.tauchclub-krems.at/dive ... marks.html
and compare Core 2 T7200(2000 Mhz) with Core Duo T 2500(2000 Mhz)

Why do you make statements without proofs?....This is the 3rd or 4th time when I hear this on this forum!!!!!
:evil: :evil:
Did you ever heard of something called Level2 cache memory and it's importance for the chess engines,it's bigger in the Core 2 Duo and the structure of the chip is different....It seems that you understand the details of the hardware as much as my cat understand atomic physics sir :P
Don't compare the speed of the cpu and make luaghable statements,ok!?
Ask people who had Core Duo and then upgraded to Core 2 Duo about the difference in performance and then get angry,capiche :?:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

gerold wrote:
cooldalek wrote:Hi

I'm thinking of buying a dirt cheap 2nd hand pc off ebay just to run my engine matches, maybe a desktop, maybe a laptop.

Certainly single CPU

What's the lowest spec I can get away with?
May i advise you not to waste your money on a piece of
crap from ebay. By the time you paid for shipping and more
than likely repair of some kind and one that will break down
soon. Invest in a good new hp with the latest chip that runs
cool and cost much less to run. You can get a good one
for less than 900 bucks .

Good luck,

Gerold.
Yes baby,HP rulz....a very solid and fast notebooks :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:It seems that you understand the details of the hardware as much as my cat understand atomic physics sir :P
Are you talking about my Cat that I send to Germany, but for some reason ended up in Bulgaria? I didnt know that cat knew any atomic Physics, let alone his A, B, C's.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tony Thomas wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:It seems that you understand the details of the hardware as much as my cat understand atomic physics sir :P
Are you talking about my Cat that I send to Germany, but for some reason ended up in Bulgaria? I didnt know that cat knew any atomic Physics, let alone his A, B, C's.
Aha,it's the same cat we're talking about....

Spock

Post by Spock »

I don't think anyone has mentioned that the Core 2 Duo is 64-bit capable, whereas the Core Duo is not.... another potentially crucial difference for chess
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
Aha,it's the same cat we're talking about....

Good, then he better watch out. :wink: